Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
I was merging off the freeway at almost 80mph to get past some slower traffic and some wonderful california driver cut me off.

anyways...my problem is, instead of downshifting into 4th gear i freaked out and jammed it into 2nd and consequently my engine revved well into the red.

everything was okay immidiately after this incident. but about 5 miles later my car started vibrating a little bit...both in and out of gear. then the vibration got increasingly worse within the next mile of driving as if something were gradually being messed up

theres no engine knock...doesnt sound like a spun bearing...as a matter of fact, it doesnt really sound like anything. it's only noticeable when you rev the engine and see my bumper vibrating like crazy or are sitting in the car to feel it.

i checked all the motor mounts and none of them were broken. I recently got hard poly mounts so that increased my engine vibration a bit...but now its 20x worse...

the engine doesn't appear to be misfiring at all...then again, my cel has been on for a while (precats) so I cant tell if a new one popped up recently

i searched quite a bit and didnt find something close enough to my exact scenario to be satisfied with any one answer.

as a side note, a couple of weeks ago i hit a...something...on the road and knocked off my alignment a bit...but i dont think that has anything to do with this becasue the increased vibration still occurs when the car is revving in neutral at a stop.

99 svt MTX BRAND NEW TRANSMISSION/DIFF...

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Scan for CEL codes and post. Change engine oil and filter.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Tony2005:

Why is he changing the oil and filter?! Explain to me how that is going to help anything?! That is like the mentality of putting thicking oil in an engine with rod knock. It is a band aid at best.

I'd say the roll resistors, but to be honest internet diagnosis is difficult. When you say far into the red...did you go past 8000rpm?! I doubt you did, but maybe you went way beyond that and floated a valve. Never heard of it on a duratec, but then again I've never heard of anyone smashing a gear like that.

Just give us more specifics. Be thorough.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:

Why is he changing the oil and filter?! Explain to me how that is going to help anything?! That is like the mentality of putting thicking oil in an engine with rod knock. It is a band aid at best.

I'd say the roll resistors, but to be honest internet diagnosis is difficult. When you say far into the red...did you go past 7500rpms?! I doubt you did, but maybe you went way beyond that and floated a valve. Never heard of it on a duratec, but then again I've never heard of anyone smashing a gear like that.

Just give us more specifics. Be thorough.

I was thinking the same thing as I read. I bet when you slammed into 2nd gear your engine/trannie shifted position really hard and tore the rubber on one of the engine mounts or roll resisters. Check them for cracking/rips or fluid leaking from them (as i think they are liquid filled). It does sound like a motor mount issue.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Liquid filled..WTF!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
the original 95 rear roll restrictor was liquid filled, then it went to the solid mount, well as solid as something can be with surface holes in it to make it have some give ...

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
True, but he said he's got poly mounts.

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by BrApple-SeVT:
the original 95 rear roll restrictor was liquid filled, then it went to the solid mount, well as solid as something can be with surface holes in it to make it have some give ...

That's funny. My 95 SE didn't have liquid filled mounts. None of them. Maybe it was only on some other models.

I'll put holes in him!!
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:

Band aid is better than no aid. I supposed I could just say, put in a 3 L ($2500) without trying the cheap stuff ($15) first. If he overrevved the engine, and he suspects that caused an engine issue, the oil is probably broken down. Why leave "bad" oil in the engine while he is trying to diagnose the issue?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Try this,
With the car stopped and your foot on the brake, press down on the clutch and put the transmission in gear. Rev the engine to see if you still have the vibration. If you don�t then it indicates a broken clutch hub or a bad input shaft bearing. If it still shakes, check for a loose spark plug, broken mounts and do a compression test (you could have floated a valve follower).

Jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard