Originally posted by GTO Pete:
Originally posted by RogerB:
Porter-Cable makes all kinds of stuff. Saying "grab your Porter-Cable" is kind of like saying "Hand me that Sears."

At least if you ask for a "kleenex," almost everyone in the room will know what you're talking about.

We're talking about detailing. When someone is detailing their car and says I use a porter cable, it's understood.

A: "How do you wax your car?"
B: "I use a Porter Cable."

Whatever. When I saw the subject line, I thought "what the hell are they going to do with an air compressor?" (I didn't realize PC made orbital polishers.) Nevertheless, no context clue was provided in the subject line, as in your neat little couplet, above.

Of course, I'm smart enough to figure it out once I read the post, but wouldn't it be better to be clear from the start?

Quote:

It's generally accepted amongst detailers that Porter Cable (PC) is synonymous with dual-action or orbital polishers.

1. I have a dual action (orbital) polisher that is not a PC, and I bet I could find many more, if I cared to.

2. I'm not a "detailer." Nor am I a sommelier, barista, climatologist, physicist, or alcoholic. Consider your audience.

Meh. Whatever. It's not my post. Carry on.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998