k,here's my experience from owning 3 Contiques over the past 2 years:

1998 Mercury Mystique GS Sport - 4 cylinder,automatic - milage at purchase: 211 500km. Milage at trade in - 253 000km
No mechanical or transmission problems through the ownership that ever had the car off the road for more than a day. Just before I got rid of it,my thermostat stuck open and it ran cold,and I had to do a brake job on it a few months prior. The 4 cylinder automatics are terrible on gas,horribly slow and IMO,would not recommend one. The 4 cyls are very reliable. I loved this car and wish I never got rid of it. Owned it for 10 months.

1995 Ford Contour GL - V6,5 speed - milage at purchase: 260 811km. Milage at scrap: 300 892km.
- Horrible car. Impossible to work on,everything broke or wore out. I went through 2 transmissions,replaced CV shafts,struts,balljoints,wheel bearings,water pump,brakes...all in like 6 months. I had the car for 11 months. V6s are great on gas with a manual,extremely peppy,fun to drive and sound awesome,but if they break,I don't wish it on anyone. I will buy another Contique,but never ever another V6 after this experience.

Current driver,a 1995 Contour GL - 4 cyl,5 speed. Milage at purchase: 264 300km. Current milage: just shy of 270 000km.
-I bought this car in November of last year and stored it all winter and have only been driving it since June. To pass safety it only needed a driver's side wheel bearing and brakes all around. This car runs absolutely fantastic,manual tranny shifts smooth as butter,but my clutch needs replacing soon,and this is not a fun or cheap job. Great car,love it,haven't had any problems yet,going to continue to drive it daily until I finish building my truck,then once/if this one craps out,I'll go out and buy another 4 cyl/5 spd.

I love these cars. So basically,go find a 4 cyl,5 speed. Automatics SUCK. You won't be disappointed.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction