I've had a zetec w/ auto for three years now with just a hair over 130,000 miles. As far as reliability, it really depends on the previous owners I believe.

I had to replace a timing belt $1200 (under warranty @ dealership), ABS computer(3500 under warranty @ dealership), three alternators in a row(warranty expired), master window switch, passenger window motor, track, and regulator (covered), and two wheel bearings (not covered). I think that most of my alternator problems were either from shipping or a poorly remanufactured unit. Now I just need to replace the drivers seat for a third time, new rear brakes, and suspension work.

As far as the Intrepids go, I've been seeing many (30+, no lie) Intrepids in this area that burn oil like a mother. Not sure about which engine is in them. It seems one of them has a bad head gasket problem. They all were the last generation styling.
EDIT: In doing a little research it looks like its the 2.7L V6, both Concorde and Intrepid 1998-2002.

If you end up buying from a dealership I think it would be in your best interest to get a warranty on the car, I did and it really paid off. It cost me $1200 plus $500 deductible, but they paid out over $5700 in repairs

my 2�¢

98 Contour GL 4 cyl 131,000 miles - 57,000 w/o a CEL! Get Firefox