Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
blu_fuz Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
So I did my suspension swap on my '95 to the koni/GC setup about2 months ago. I drove to SZ and when we got to the hotel I noticed a creaking noise comming from the passenger side rear. It was pretty quiet then, but now it is getting loud.

I had the GCs on stock struts b4 this and there was no noise then.....

I took the rear wheels off and did the following:
-tightened upper strut mounts (two bolts)
-tightened pinch bolt
-tightened brake calipers
-removed sway bar bushings and greased them
-sprayed all moving links and bushings with PB blaster

oh, and it creaks louder the slower I go.... It does not creak when going 55+ mph

it doesn't creak with bumps either, it is pretty random.

can someone help me out?.... I am frustrated that now with the new suspension, I have another issue... it just never stops.... ugh

EGPLNT:MY 95' SE MTX SVT *200,000 MILE CLUB* 6/06/06 - 201,000 MILES
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
dont worry Joe mine has been doing the same thing since well before SZ. Josh thinks it has something to do with the upper strut mount (sounds like thats where its comeing from). maybe one of these days ill get around to takeing the whole thing out and seeing what is makeing the noise.

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
wow I have the same problem, its like walking in a old attic, kinda annoying over speedbumps and whatnot, but well, lol, ya, people stare. Oh well, all good.

-JD. 1996/V6/LX. Killer Bass, & A Few Other Mods.
B
blu_fuz Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
do you both have the koni struts? I see one of you have them.... I also noticed all 3 of us have pre98s.. could that have anything to do with it... hmmmm??? I might put my roll resistor in today and get new plugs and wires - maybey I will drop the suspension out and take a look. who knows.... thanks

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
idk mine only seems to do it on the right rear. i dont know whats different between the left and right sides. i set both up the same way. Joe if you take yours apart and figure out whats making the noise please take some pictures for the rest of us.

Daniel

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
oh, and it creaks louder the slower I go.... It does not creak when going 55+ mph

it doesn't creak with bumps either, it is pretty random.

can someone help me out?.... I am frustrated that now with the new suspension, I have another issue... it just never stops.... ugh

Does it creak when you turn the wheels with the car stopped and engine running? I had that creaking symptom when i had my camber kit installed, and it was definetly due to the non-OEM upper strut mounts. Since i have taken the camber kits off and returned to the stock upper strut mounts the sound has ceased.

1999 SVT removed res FMS 9mm metal impellar Koni struts PG Xenon 6.5 MSDS Y-pipe
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
i believe all 3 of us have the noise coming from the rear of the car. so no it doesnt do it when you turn the wheel. it deffinatly seems random as i can go over the same road several times a day and it will not squeek at the same points in the road. occasionaly i hear more of a slight metal on metal noise but its mostly just a rubberish (?) squeek. like previously stated its only an the right rear. no other corner makes the noise.

B
blu_fuz Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
right rear on mine too! dang... No it does not make noise when I am sitting still and turning the steering wheel. I will have to dive into this and let yall know - I bought another car so I can take the tour apart and leave it apart... I'll keep on keepin on... -JOE

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Have a Buddy push the Pass side up and down, causing the creaking noise.....reach under the Pass wheel and put your hand on the Ball joint....do you feel it? Ball Joint

I did brakes, wheel bearing, Pass driveshaft and then the creaking started. I killed a can of WD-40 trying to desqueek it. Then I removed the wheel and started listening and feeling, WOW. I'm replacing the entire Lower Control arm, that way I get the Ball joint and New rubber in the mounts.

Approx. $375 for a shop to replace ball joint
approx. $150.00 to replace it yourself Control Arm
Approx. $60.00 for Ball joint (got all the tools?)

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
good theory but again we are talking about the REAR.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard