Captain Impound Boy
S
cap won't do anything to help it, Ussually puts more of a drain on system

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Why don't you try a Ford alternator?

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Wonder if it's the ground on the trans. from you trans removal. I'd check around for lose grounds.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
RawBurt Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I will definetely check that, as I am open to ideas. But I've had this problem before the trans swap.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I told Robert to check for a current drain with thew car off. Easy to do with a multimeter.
Disconnect the -ve form the baterry and put the multimeter inline with eh batter and ground wire to close the circuit. Of course switch the multimeter to the "current" function. There should be a VERY slight current drain from the PATS light and that's it. So long as the dorrs are closed, light off, and all that jazz. If you are seeing a few amps getting pulled then you have something shorting out causing a drain on the system at all times.

The belt tension is a BS problem. There's almost no chance that he is getting so much belt slip that he is losing voltage - I don't buy that for one second. The thing would be squealing like a pig if that was the case.

Also for him to have 5 bad alternators in a row is pretty high odds.

Other thing you wanna check for is the fuse and contacts for the voltage regulator for the alternator. Make sure the fuse isn't blown or had corrosion it or the connections, that would cause issues like your seeing.

Personally I think either he has some bad grounds, shorts in the system or bad +ve connections. Also have your battery checked in the off chance it has a bad cell.

One thing I would try is unhooking your amp/cap completely to see if they are possible bad causing a drain. Work your way through each electrical accessory you have, unhooking each one, one at a time. It's the only way to get down to the bottom of this debacle.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
R
RawBurt Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Thank you for the response Stazi. I appreciate it.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by RawBroken:
Thank you for the response Stazi. I appreciate it.

I freakin told you on Saturday to disconnect your amp!!!

BAH. If I am around this sat I will see if I can give ya a hand.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Yeah throwing alternators at the problem wont solve anything. I see way too many people make this mistake on the newcougar forums.

The MegaFuse wire and Gnd wire to and from the alternator are likely to be damaged when your alternator failed the first/2nd time. This extra resistance in the line then causes your other alternators to fail.

Have those wires replaced. That should take care of your issue.

Its all about proper trouble-shooting and not just throwing alternators/money at the problem.

I dont believe the amp would cause such a problem. Though not impossible

Cougar V6 MTX: GMK Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake : SVT UIM : SVT LIM : SVT TB : MSDS Headers & Ypipe : TruBendz 2.5" Borla Single Exhaust : Soild Front Motor Mount : & more
R
RawBurt Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Alternator came out today, life time warranty doesnt worry me.

Originally posted by GrandMasterKhan:
The MegaFuse wire and Gnd wire to and from the alternator are likely to be damaged when your alternator failed the first/2nd time. This extra resistance in the line then causes your other alternators to fail.

What gauge for each wire?
How much lenth for each wire?
Recommendations on where I can pick up the wire? Preferably not online.

G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
4G minimum. I am not certain of the length. You should be able to buy it by the foot at circuit city etc, you might want to pick up a big ass fuse holder as well in case its melted. I cannot remember what the fuse needs to be rated at.

bet bet is to remove the insuation from the wire and check it near the fuse to see what condition it is in and report back here.

Last edited by GrandMasterKhan; 07/12/06 06:26 AM.

Cougar V6 MTX: GMK Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake : SVT UIM : SVT LIM : SVT TB : MSDS Headers & Ypipe : TruBendz 2.5" Borla Single Exhaust : Soild Front Motor Mount : & more
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard