Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
My worst mods:
Top 3 countdown:

4) Not my hood...even though most people don't like it. lol

3) Putting the sub in my trunk that my friend told me a was a "really good" sub he didn't use any more...

2) Ebay Intake...

1) Kelly Tires... Never listen to an idoit at a tire place. Talked me out of getting Traction T/As to replace my tires because these "are just as good, but 35 dollars less a tire..."

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Pro-M MAF

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by Derk-xB:
Pro-M MAF

x2

2nd worse mod.. MAF calibrator, to try and correct the Pro-M MAF. Needless to say, I went back to my stock SVT MAF and sent back the junk.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
The scary thing is how many of these "worst mods" were on my list of to-dos, but I never had time or money for them.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Worst mod, definately Kim . . . ooh wait, for the car, not the site . . . lol

I've actually been very selective about what I've done to my CSVT so far, keeping things very minimal (again, up to this point) but probably the worst was the pedal covers back when I first got the car. They were either OBX or KKM, I don't remember, but the attachment was so poor, and they were downright dangerous from a pedal geometry standpoint . . . they were only on the car for a couple weeks at most.

I'm just hoping I'm not making any regrettable mods right now while my car undergoes a pretty thourough overhaul, lol.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Gutting my precats on the car. All down hill from there. Inital mod was good, but since then the car has gotten progressively worse and finally terminated this past weekend with a thrown rod or shattered piston.

E0 SVT Kids, yeah, I have kids. How many do you want?
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by Bike2112:
Gutting my precats on the car. All down hill from there. Inital mod was good, but since then the car has gotten progressively worse and finally terminated this past weekend with a thrown rod or shattered piston.

And how exactly are you tracing the blown engine to gutting the precats? Have you verified that the honeycomb material was sucked back into the motor? I'm guessing now, since you don't know if it's a thrown rod or shattered piston.

Mark

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Does it really matter? Car ran fine before the mod and shortly thereafter it started to burn oil. Then steadily more. It could have been from precat dust or something else.

Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Does it really matter?

To me, it doesn't really matter. I'm not trying to call you out. I was just curious as to how you came to the conclusion that it was the precat gutting that caused the engine to go.

It could have been from precat dust or something else.

You don't know 100% what the reason was for the motor going. I'm just questioning, because I'd hate to see a bunch of people avoid mods because someone assumed it was the cause of failure. Honestly, these motors can go, just like that. Mine went at 52k miles, with no warning signs. No oil light, no sweeping right turns, it just started knocking out of nowhere.

Mark

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Agreed. Didn't mean to come off curt. The car just started to go down from that time. Still is a good mod.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard