Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by stilov:
it kinda makes you look like Terry's little "do boy"

Sure bub. I'm just glad Terry is here to help in some aspect. I could give a flying [censored] what you think. Life is too short for bullsh!t.

He's just pointing out what everyone notices. And you're right, life IS too short for bullsh!t. That's why I don't listen to bullsh!t about not using ATF + FM. Mine held up great for 35k HARD miles, and drained out bright red.

Mark

Mark I drained MTL out of two trannies 3 weeks ago and it came out bright red...but when you pulled the shift tower there was the infamous black grime coating. I don't think it really matters what color it is when it drains. The true test of all this jazz goes way beyond our sight and into the lab.

Actually, a fluid coming out clean and uniform color after 35K miles would be a pretty good indicator that all was well, at least based on a maintenance standpoint. If operation was still smooth and the fluid clean without contaminants then it is a good test. If the fluid looked like it had been transformed due to excessive heat then that would indicate a problem with something, maybe the fluid, maybe just a failing part generating lots of heat. The fluid could be good looking but have all kinds of contaminants in it, maybe sparkles from metal, etc. It could be very old, slightly dirty and discolored, and that still wouldn't necessarily mean anything was wrong other than infrequent maintenance. So to some extent I agree with you and to some extent I think it would be a good indicator.

Could you clarify what type of differential was installed in those transmissions you drained the fluid on?
Also, do you know any more information on the transmissions?

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black