Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Honed Diva:
I don't believe it would create a bigger problem outside of the borders of Iraq. The problem is that we are trying to do what the people of Iraq need to do, and for us to fix Iraq is simply not possible.

I'm with you on this one Honed. Although Democracy is great , you simply can't "infuse" it into a culture that's used to living under tyranny. This fact has been proven time and time again. Democracy is a process. Especially for a country that hasn't had it in a generation. Imagine, for an entire lifetime you're oppressed and terrorized. Then all of a sudden you're free! That's just like giving a lifetime poor person a million bucks. They would have NO concept of money management. I'm not saying that Iraqis are stupid, but they are indignant and their current culture is not set up to accept a full fledged democracy. The country isn't even United on preventing terrorism. There's also too much infighting, tribal indifference, and segregation among the religious to even agree on who or what type of government should lead them into the future. And we're not the answer for that. They need to find it themselves and that will take more time, effort, money, and lives than we're willing to invest.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Doppelg�¤nger:

I'm with you on this one Honed. Although Democracy is great , you simply can't "infuse" it into a culture that's used to living under tyranny.

then who are we to force change upon them by assasinating their leader?? what right do we have to throw the whole country into turmoil and leave it that way? do you two even see the circles you are talking in?

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
If that leader had not invaded Kuwait (we should have eliminated him then) and then violated the terms of his peace treaty, it would not have been necessary. Saddam brought it upon himself (including the remainder of the regime).

We cannot eliminate the turmoil, that must come from within.

It's like putting someone in prison. We don't go in and find a new husband/father/wife/mother... for the family. The family has to make its own way.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by TGO:

I'm with you on this one Honed. Although Democracy is great , you simply can't "infuse" it into a culture that's used to living under tyranny.

then who are we to force change upon them by assasinating their leader?? what right do we have to throw the whole country into turmoil and leave it that way? do you two even see the circles you are talking in?

That's the whole point. We had NO right to go in there in the first place period. However, now that we did, we have the responsibility to see it through wherever that may lead. The treaty wasn't with the U.S. However, we took it upon ourselves to be the enforcers.

T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T

That's the whole point. We had NO right to go in there in the first place period. However, now that we did, we have the responsibility to see it through wherever that may lead.

That's the point i'm trying to make!

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by TGO:

That's the whole point. We had NO right to go in there in the first place period. However, now that we did, we have the responsibility to see it through wherever that may lead.

That's the point i'm trying to make!

Aaaah, I see clearly now. We're on the same page then.

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
The problem is we already followed through to the end, and are now trying to write the sequal for them. We need to get the hell out and let the Iraqi people take responsibility for their own country.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by 99blacksesport:
My question is why can the major news outlets not report anything good about the war?

WTF? Everything about that statement is sad. Are you looking for something GOOD to come of a war?

Hey everybody! Lets have a GOOD WAR now! It'll be swell!

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
We are at war, that fact will not change. There are good aspects to the war, also known as victories for the U.S. I never said war was good, it is a necessary evil. You can report on our victories as much as our defeats, that would be fine. However news outlets dont do that, they choose to report on things that we do bad or go bad for us. All you that disagree with us being in Iraq need to get a grip on reality.

This was never supposed to be a discussion on the merrits of us being in Iraq. I agree 100% on us being in Iraq, that was besides my point I was trying to make before.

Read the line you quoted of me again. I did not say "Why cant the news report on the good war we are in." Like it or not, for it or against, you can not deny that the victories our soldiers have accomplished are indeed good things. THAT is what I am saying they need to report more on.

Originally posted by 92x_Hightower:
Are you looking for something GOOD to come of a war?

Well we sure as hell didn't go to war to see bad things come about. War sucks; losing our brothers, sisters, sons, daughters in the war sucks; everything about the war itself sucks. We don't go to war to see those things happen, they are the worst side effects to something that I never want to see. However, even if you still want to say the B.S. that Bush lied to go to war, you can not deny the fact that if we don't go to war to fix the evil in this world no one else will. Everyone wants us to be the world police when it suits their own needs. When it suits our needs, no one else gives a $hit, then it's all about their own needs and wants.

Last edited by 99blacksesport; 06/15/06 05:15 AM.

"Moore has also accused the American people of being the stupidest, most naive people on the face of the Earth. And after last weekend, he's got the box office numbers to prove it!"
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by 99blacksesport:
if we don't go to war to fix the evil in this world no one else will. Everyone wants us to be the world police when it suits their own needs. When it suits our needs, no one else gives a $hit, then it's all about their own needs and wants.

Problem is, the thought process stops there for a lot of people. They see the military being sent somewhere, and say, "OK, that must be where the biggest problem is. Anyone who disagrees is a fag." As if it was unamerican to question our leadership's decisions.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard