Originally posted by EVOLUTION VIII:
That is BS. I drove my Contour 3 out of 5 years with summer tires in winter.....all winter.

Sorry, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I know it can be done, but very risky.

Driving with Ecsta Supra 712's, I slowed down very slow from waaay back coming to a red light, and all it would do was kick in the ABS and slide forward towards the other cars. I stopped with only inches between me and the next car.

Next intersection I had to stop at, I ended up sliding straight into the middle, pulled the e-brake to try and avoid it once I realized I wasn't going to stop, but instead did a 180 and was looking at the cars at the light I was supposed to be stopped at. Thank god the other cars saw me sliding and didn't attempt to go when the light turned green.

That was my first and last time attempting to drive on those in snow. All-season were installed within a few weeks. I upgraded even more to Blizzak WS-50 because I was having trouble starting on inclines and getting up my driveway. Getting a push into the garage everytime it snowed was not fun.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!