Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
What summer tires did you drive in the snow? Most decent summer tires are very poor on dry pavement below freezing, and literally worthless on snow.

I went the whole winter on a set of bfgoodrich gforce kdw's.... I DONT recommend it, I had to be very mindfull of the weather I was driving in and there were a couple occasions that were a bit scary. [oh, I dont have abs or traction control]. if the winter was any less mild, I would not have done this.

even when its cold out, those tires lose alot of their traction

yes... I am a cougar owner trolling on your board.
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
No, summer tires should NOT be used in the winter. You might as well be on ice in 1/4 inch of snow. Dead serious, not exagerating.

S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Yikes, thanks everyone for the info... i think i decided im going to put the kumho supras on my e1's and find some lesser rims to hold my winter tires... maybe find some cheap e0's or just anything cheap.
oh and the kumho supra's had an N/A for all winter conditions rating no thank you to that! i prefer to have traction when rally-driving in the snow

- 98 SVT #5999 -. -CDA-7894 w/ ipod interface -Knauberized, Trubendz 2.5/highflow cat
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
u can have a completely clear winter and summer tires will still suck in winter. it isnt just snow on the ground that affects them. when the temp gets down usually before 40f the rubber in summer tires becomes useless. the reason they r so good in summer is the reason they suck so bad in winter. and also why winter tires suck in warmer weather. tire compound plus tread pattern. can u get by in a snowless winter with summer tires, yes. would i want u driving behind me when u have to hit your brakes hard, hell no.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Don't use summer tires in the winter, bad experience

Was going 60 on a highway and saw cars braking about 100ft ahead and my ABS stayed on for a good 7 seconds before hitting dry gravel, scary .. and i also flew through a stop sign going about 20,, barely missing a car, and launched up someone's driveway.. i bought winter tires by then Any snow at all and traction is gone.

98.5 T. Red Contour SVT Lowered on FSVT's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154233
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard