Originally posted by KerryKool:
It will over flow if I don't. But I don't think I'll need to do that now. Its not raining as heavy as I thought it would.

Assuming yours is in-ground (as opposed to above ground where you *might* have a concern with base erosion from overflow), the only reason it flowing over (or, more simply, shedding rainwater once it fills) will be of any concern is if your deck and drain system isn't capable of rejecting the water...i.e. either it's badly designed or improperly maintained. If your deck can't shed rainwater impinging on its entire area including the pool, you need to be looking for a drainage solution, not risking pump and/or shell damage by draining your pool partially or more. After all, your pool shell is simply a concrete boat and, if partially drained, it would be more than happy to crack or float itself from the hyraulic pressure aroud it at a time when you may need to be concerned with roof, soffit, landscape, or other wind-damage repairs.

Otherwise, just shock it and enjoy the storm. You or the kids will have fun splashing the extra water out once the weather system blows through.

The property we just sold in Melbourne rode out Erin, Frances, Jeanne, and Wilma, each of which doled out between 6" and a foot of drink, topping the pool each time. We never drained it one bit, and the deck drain system did its job, dumping runoff into the yard. We didn't have the best draining yard (it was still positive drainage, but only marginally so), but even then it wasn't a problem for the deck.

B. Riley Melbourne, FL '01 Camry LE V6/5-spd Was: '00 Black/Tan SVT Contour #560 - Sold 3/26/03 Before that: '95 Champ/Blue Contour GL V6 ATX