Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
You read rough on transmissions? Would you like to state where you read this? It put it in no matter how many miles. It's factory spec so what would it be "rough". Whatever that means.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by BrApple:

just because atf fluid isn't the spec anymore doesn't mean that you can't run it, I mean it was the spec before ... it is just not recomended anymore

You guys had to piss Terry off huh?

....for a reason, that's why! FYI Some dealer put ATF in a warranty Getrag 6 speed in my machine shop partners Focus SVT.......rattled like an SOB...the HANDBOOK calls for honey...so after draining out the 'red junk' he puts in honey....magic!...NO ROLLOVER NOISE....The fluid spec was canged for many reasons.....and not just the MTX...the IB5 trans was change to honey as well...All Focus MTX/IB5's come with it as factory fill, all Jag X types with man trans come with it, factory fill.....a few bucks saved on oil at the potential cost of trans reabuild....that's bloody smart!....NOT....

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by todras:
You read rough on transmissions? Would you like to state where you read this? It put it in no matter how many miles. It's factory spec so what would it be "rough". Whatever that means.

In the archives.

M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Perhaps I didnt word that right.

Honey in subpar transmissions yields a transmission that doesn't shift as smoothly as one would hope for.

Just called Ford and asked for "honey"...had no idea what I was talking about...is there an actual proper name?

I just asked the guy to give me the price for a qt of what would be put in something like an 02 SVT Focus and he said $5.19 a quart.....that doesn't seem right.

EDIT: XT-M5-QS. Got it.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B

just because atf fluid isn't the spec anymore doesn't mean that you can't run it, I mean it was the spec before ... it is just not recomended anymore

....for a reason, that's why! FYI Some dealer put ATF in a warranty Getrag 6 speed in my machine shop partners Focus SVT.......rattled like an SOB...the HANDBOOK calls for honey...so after draining out the 'red junk' he puts in honey....magic!...NO ROLLOVER NOISE....The fluid spec was canged for many reasons.....and not just the MTX...the IB5 trans was change to honey as well...All Focus MTX/IB5's come with it as factory fill, all Jag X types with man trans come with it, factory fill.....a few bucks saved on oil at the potential cost of trans reabuild....that's bloody smart!....NOT....

not trying to cause trouble it sounds like the spec was changed for several reasons, but I would have to guess the original design was for the atf fluid so just because the spec changed does that mean that you can't use the orginally designed fluid in the trans ?

but in the end running anything but spec is asking for trouble, that I agree with

maybe I want to kill my mtx so I can order a nice fully loaded HMS unit, becasue I want one some day anyway

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
maybe I want to kill my mtx so I can order a nice fully loaded HMS unit, becasue I want one some day anyway

Save you pennies ... mine is for sale

Last edited by fastcougar; 06/09/06 01:52 PM.
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
all together now!....

ATF is not the food for the MTX, ATF is not the food for the MTX

Oo (xxx)oO o xxxxxxxx o
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by m!key:
all together now!....

ATF is not the food for the MTX, ATF is not the food for the MTX

I'm not joining that chant.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W

Yeah cuz its THICKER!

Actually years ago running thicker fluids was used in gearboxes with more "slop" between components, and thinner oils in those that are more precision built.
So are we going backward? Or is the new fluid engineered well enough to have a low viscosity to reduce drag but be thick enough to protect and stop gear rollover noise?

And why would they recommend ATF when new but now retrofit to a thicker oil? I mean 75w## oils were available 6-10 years ago, GL4 ones to boot.
Were they wrong before and right now? or are they wrong now but just don't care because the cars aren't under warranty anymore....thereby making it easier for Ford to blow-off the possible issues.

In his defense, several people have reported their transmissions being harder or nothy to shift after putting in honey versus mobil one.
The redline MT90, the same weight oil as the honey also seems to share this same characteristic.

I'm just thinking that if the FIRST advice from Ford is now wrong then why should we trust the new advice? I mean they are making a killing off the fluid now, an extra $45 per fill over what, $10 from ATF?
And how foolish were those people that were running 75w## oils 6-10 years ago in their then NEW contours? They were being told " You are WRONG for not following the factory fill...get ATF in that thing" etc.

Just questions that arise from all the info.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Welp, I just went ahead with the Synchromax. If the transmission fails tomorrow, I guess its my fault.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard