Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
HTH!

if you decide on the car, i have a completely rebuilt front end with complete braking system from a 1974 chrome MGB. It looks brand new and was never installed. requires slight modification to the body at the mount points for 1975+ cars because they had the chassis set up for a higher suspension. this setup will give you a better stance and better handling. includes: front crossmember, upper and lower arms, all bushings, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers and pads. ready to roll.

email or PM if interested. i've been sitting on it for 4 years and would like to see it put to good use. would require freight shipping.

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Ok, I showed my dad all the stuff and this was his responce-

"Your info was EXTREMELY helpful-THANK YOU so much!!!!

Mom and I took the MGB for a test drive on Sunday. It basically had no brakes and ran a bit rough but after shocking myself when I checked the plug wires I figured that was the reason it was missing!!!

Anyhow, Mom felt the car sat too low to the ground and would be too difficult to get in and out of on a regular basis. The steering wheel is only 6" off the seat so it sits in your gut. I told her I would have fun working on it and felt it would be worth my while but she just didn't think it would be very practical for her so we walked away from it. Probably a prudent thing to do as I really don't 'need' another project."

So basically he's not gonna go for it since it was gonna be for my mom since he has the '53 Chevy and motorcycle as a daily driver (when theres no snow on the ground.) And if she isn't gonna be real happy about it then I guess its not really worth it. Too bad, because from talking with him it has lots of potential and would be a fun car to work on. But thanks again for all your help guys, the info you gave helped alot with the decision.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
hey there, i have a 1970 mgb gt in the process of being completely rebuilt. the block has been bored and has a racing cam in it along with a lot of other fun stuff. you can see a couple pics of it on my cardomain.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2283621 98 Contour SVT #1756 70 MGB GT (modified more than my contour)
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Teenage Contour:
Ok, I showed my dad all the stuff and this was his responce-

"Your info was EXTREMELY helpful-THANK YOU so much!!!!

Mom and I took the MGB for a test drive on Sunday. It basically had no brakes and ran a bit rough but after shocking myself when I checked the plug wires I figured that was the reason it was missing!!!

Brake pressure was a problem on mine too. The PO had mixed modern DOT 5 brake fluid with some older standard and the 2 didn't mix well causing the rubber to fail. I had a small leak coming from the master cylinder that would drop on my leg once in a while. Top it off with fluid and the brakes should be OK temporarily.

Anyhow, Mom felt the car sat too low to the ground and would be too difficult to get in and out of on a regular basis.

It's a sports car!

The steering wheel is only 6" off the seat so it sits in your gut.

Smaller diameter steering wheels can be had from Moss Motors or other suppliers for a couple bucks. Makes the steering a bit harder at slower speeds, but freesup room in the cockpit.

I told her I would have fun working on it and felt it would be worth my while but she just didn't think it would be very practical for her so we walked away from it. Probably a prudent thing to do as I really don't 'need' another project."

So basically he's not gonna go for it since it was gonna be for my mom since he has the '53 Chevy and motorcycle as a daily driver (when theres no snow on the ground.) And if she isn't gonna be real happy about it then I guess its not really worth it. Too bad, because from talking with him it has lots of potential and would be a fun car to work on. But thanks again for all your help guys, the info you gave helped alot with the decision.

Happy to help. Sorry it didn't work out in the end, but it's a good thing she looked at it. MGs are a breed for certain people and not others.

Based on her concerns, you might want to find a Triumph TR6 to work on instead. The pedals are closer together, but overall the cabin has more room. Sits a little higher off the ground too.

Good luck!

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Also glad to help - anytime .

I'd stick with an MGB , personally , instead of a TR-6 . An MGB is a much more user-friendly unit . Don't get me wrong , I've owned a couple Triumphs & loved 'em , but I've learned from experience dealing with them both on a daily basis . MGB all the way . The TR-6 is harder to get in & out of , is a much more quirky car , more expensive to fix up and feels like a wet noodle compared to an MGB due to it's seperate frame (vs. the MBG's unibody - even when both comparatively rusty) .

If you want an interseting old-school British car - think Morris Minor . Fun car , LOADS of looks when you're driving it , it's a unibody car , you won't "see yourself" coming & going (i.e. you'll be the only one in town) , and room for 4 adults !

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I'll throw down 10% with 10 other people on one of these MGs. We could swap weekends...
SV-R.... YUM!

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3200.asp?id=12990

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard