Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Well the SVT's headlights were hazy and I couldn't be bothered with the long process of applying Meguirs plastx to them, and don't want to wet-sand them as the tabs are cracked and I plan to replace them soon (if Morette's materialize).

I decided on a very cheap 'n' cheerful fix that seems to have done the trick.
A quick application of comet to them brought them up better than the Meguir's did that I have done in the past, and with a fraction of the effort. It's now a couple of weeks since I did them and they are looking great.

Not sure if this has been done before, but thought I would share it!

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
With the grit in comet, that would be almost the same as wetsanding, maybe even a little rougher.

Same amount of work, no?
Comet cost more than sandpaper and water?

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I'd say about 5 minutes per headlight!

Used only a little bit of Comet, and Comet is under the kitchen sink anyway, so it made it way easier for me. I was pretty surprised at the results, as they are better than I expected for the amount of time I spent doing it.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
i think the best thing you could do is probally wet sand them and have a body shop put a good u.v. clear coat on them. thats what i would have done if my headlight mountign tabs werent broke. i baught new ones through bill jenkins at team ford parts. my car looks liek new now. all i need to do now is get 2 9005 s.s. for my lows.

98 contour s.e. sport mtx http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/503352 all mods shown on page
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by cvkillacontour98:
i think the best thing you could do is probally wet sand them and have a body shop put a good u.v. clear coat on them. thats what i would have done if my headlight mountign tabs werent broke. i baught new ones through bill jenkins at team ford parts. my car looks liek new now. all i need to do now is get 2 9005 s.s. for my lows.

wouldent it be cheaper to buy new Headlights from Bill Jenkins?

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
they wont charge you much at a body shop especially if you sanded it already. just make sure to mask of the leveler. my friend had his intrepid lights done for liek $30 and they came out real good.

98 contour s.e. sport mtx http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/503352 all mods shown on page
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
i think the best thing you could do is probally wet sand them and have a body shop put a good u.v. clear coat on them.

I did the next best thing. Wet sanded them then sprayed some clearcoat on. Looks like new. IMO the best way to clean them up.

The Comet idea is a good one though if you dont have a couple hours to spend on your headlights like I did.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by CRZYDRVR:
i think the best thing you could do is probally wet sand them and have a body shop put a good u.v. clear coat on them.

I did the next best thing. Wet sanded them then sprayed some clearcoat on. Looks like new. IMO the best way to clean them up.

The Comet idea is a good one though if you dont have a couple hours to spend on your headlights like I did.

How has the clear coat been working for you.

I wet-sanded mine. 2 times so far. Always apply kat scratch remover. Works best IMHO.

I never thought of applying a clear coat. hmmmmm

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
just ask the body shop guy what grit sanpaper to use for prepping it. once th clear coat is on and dries real good you good to go. you wont have to worry about it again. when i used a cheap spray can clear it worked real goodbut it started to flake off due to those days when i would always go through the quick wash once a week. i have a pic of it in my cardomain link below. even though it was a cheap spray can coat it never turned yellow just peeled off. plus it was the first time i ever did it too. when my new lights do start looking bad in the future im going to wetsand them and have a body shop clear coat them.

C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Rickson:
Originally posted by CRZYDRVR:

How has the clear coat been working for you.

Great. Granted, the clear is only a few months old, but it still looks like the day I painted them. I just sanded them until they were completely clouded and impossible to see through, then painted.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard