Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by BloodyTomFlint:
Originally posted by We Todd:
This is a formality. Who cares? What's the penality? Nothing, yaah. Its about as good as reforming immigration laws, they don't already enforce the current laws. The Government will still provide every thing in different languages to make other happy.

Yep. I don't see how it would ever matter anyway. ARRRGH!!

Read my post from an hour & a half ago. I explain why. Wien Sean elaborates further & strengthens my argument with his experience & observation as an American in a foreign country.

If we require english, provide voting, DLs, medical & other benefit applications in english only, they have to learn to get along. They integrate into society rather than society pandering to them. And, as I said, by not learning the language, they are limiting their opportunities. With mastery of english (to some functional degree), they will be able to make a living anywhere in the US, not just in areas where there are translators or agencies making things available in their native language.

Yes, IF that were to happy. Its not going to happen though. We as a society are too soft and not hard enough to enforce this to say "Toughh Chit, learn the language or else." It will be called 'discrimination,' just like I'm a 'racist' because I am not for illegal immigrants. In a perfect world, it would work, but it ain't perfect.

Ryan Trollin!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Read my post from an hour & a half ago. I explain why. Wien Sean elaborates further & strengthens my argument with his experience & observation as an American in a foreign country.

If we require english, provide voting, DLs, medical & other benefit applications in english only, they have to learn to get along. They integrate into society rather than society pandering to them. And, as I said, by not learning the language, they are limiting their opportunities. With mastery of english (to some functional degree), they will be able to make a living anywhere in the US, not just in areas where there are translators or agencies making things available in their native language.

Yes, IF that were to happy. Its not going to happen though. We as a society are too soft and not hard enough to enforce this to say "Toughh Chit, learn the language or else." It will be called 'discrimination,' just like I'm a 'racist' because I am not for illegal immigrants. In a perfect world, it would work, but it ain't perfect.

Well, I ain't giving in. Call me racist, call it discrimination, whatever. I really don't care. It is to their benefit, how is that racist? It is to the benefit of society as a whole, how is that discriminatory?

Not a perfect world?? Well, dammit! I'll make it one!

Just to elaborate, I see your point and it is valid. However, your attitude seems to imply that you're all too willing to be one of those that caves to the liberal PC BS. Stop caving. Make it happen. PC is on the way out, ride the wave!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

Well, I ain't giving in. Call me racist, call it discrimination, whatever. I really don't care. It is to their benefit, how is that racist? It is to the benefit of society as a whole, how is that discriminatory?

Not a perfect world?? Well, dammit! I'll make it one!

Just to elaborate, I see your point and it is valid. However, your attitude seems to imply that you're all too willing to be one of those that caves to the liberal PC BS. Stop caving. Make it happen. PC is on the way out, ride the wave!

I'll be one of the last ones to cave and am right there with you, however, the unfortnate reality is that our Government / Politicans are NOT listening to the [B]AMERICAN[/B] people, but instead are listening to the minority on this and are only going to do what they have to to make the American's borderline happy......otherwise, it would be this half-assed attempt at securing our borders and enforcing our laws. Hell, I'd be for putting the GWOT on hold until we can secure our own country, or, roll them into the same [censored] bag of money.

Ryan Trollin!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I'll be one of the last ones to cave and am right there with you, however, the unfortnate reality is that our Government / Politicans are NOT listening to the [B]AMERICAN[/B] people, blah, blah, etc.

See? There ya go with that defeatist attitude again. The politicians respond to those making the most noise. Make noise man!!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
I can compare these immigration issues with those of integration of the EU. Because there are no boarders between Schengen countries and a common currency, many feel they will loose their national identity, their heritage. This may be part of what legal immigrants are afraid of in being forced to learn a second language. This is a valid concern, but I would argue that it is up to their community to keep their heritage at heart and up to the individual to integrate into the new society. This is what my families did when they came from Ireland, Scotland, France, Germany, and Austria, in the early 20th century.

1999 Contour SE Duratec ATX My feet and the Stra�Ÿenbahn http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/ the coolest Topaz ever! To bad it's not mine
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I'll be one of the last ones to cave and am right there with you, however, the unfortnate reality is that our Government / Politicans are NOT listening to the [B]AMERICAN[/B] people, blah, blah, etc.

See? There ya go with that defeatist attitude again. The politicians respond to those making the most noise. Make noise man!!

IF we could put together marches for the enforcement of immigration laws and securing our borders like all the so called 'pro-immigration' people do, I'd be there in a heart beat! I've already written letters to my congressmen when I heard VA was going to allow illegal immigrants in-state tuition!

Ryan Trollin!
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
must say im quite shocked that it isnt already american law that the "official" language is english.

I also dont buy the argument that an immigrant would be threatened of their heritage having to learn another language. I myself am a proud canadian and of german descent, but i dont call myself a german canadian. Im a canadian first, all else is history. I think anyone that wants to live in another country and become a citizen should so likewise. If you want to be proud of your roots, thats something else.

I dont hear many people up here in canada complaining about having to learn english as a second language. Even when they are originally from holland, china, japan, bulgaria or iran (some people who immigrated here i work with)

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Try life with TWO official languages.......

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
lol like it matters out in bc! more chinese than whites out there!

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Learning English was something to be personally proud of in the past. My neighbors in Sterling Heights came to this country from Italy and spoke no English when they arrived. My neighbor once told me that within 1 year of landing on US soil they learned English, and from then on, they didn't speak anything but English in public. She said that they knew if they were ever to become American, regardless if the INS said they were citizens or not, they needed to learn English.

This isn't the case with Mexicans. They want us to cater to them and speak Spanish to them, and to provide this and that and everything else in Espanol. That is an attitude problem. It smacks of laziness, it goes against the old mantra, "When in Rome" What makes them think they are special or different from the Pols, Chezcs, Russians, French, Germans, Spanish-speakers, Chinese, Italians, or Japanese who came here in the past and learned English?

I have nothing against people who speak English as a second language. I'm not asking Mexicans to perfect their understanding of English. I'm not asking them to give up Spanish. I'm just asking that they make a reasonable attempt to learn English to the point where they can interact in America (An English speaking country) and not limit themselves. I just want them to do what the other immigrants throughout history have done when they came here. It would be a win-win situation.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard