E
what the heck is a idle air selinoid?

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Not quite sure, I know taht iit isn't cheap and the computer kept telling them taht they are wrong. THis shop wouldn't screw me over though, so it needs to be replaced. Oh, and a vacuum hose was replaced that was supposedly cracked pretty bad so we'll see if that helps.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
what was the verdict?

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Ok, now its really starting to bug me. the gas mileage went up but still not good. at 70 got about 23 then went up to 24 at 75 then stayed around taht and 25mpg until I got to Georiga where the hills, serious headwind and 80-85 mph dropped it down to 22mpg. Going through FL at 75 I got 27 with a decent tail wind, 26 without it and its back down to lower than that now with mostly 70-75 mph highway driving. It was hardly bogging when I started the trip, now its as strong as ever and has minimul power until I go about 5-10 miles AFTER the engine is at temp. Honestly, if it didn't look so good I would have rammed it into a tree by now. I'm sick of it bogging so much and basically dying, getting terrible gas milage (it hasn't been above mid twenties no matter what the speed until that trip, and its right back down again) and it has 50,400 miles on it!!!! What is wrong with this piece of junk?!?!?! I've tried to be patient with it for the past 7 months but now I'm jsut sick of it. anyway, rant over. It started bogging after I did a serious intake cleaning, right after i got it back from the body shop when my hood flew off , so somehow are those related? I used 2 cans of this 3m stuff after I used some STP or equivilant a week before and I let it kill the engine and sit in there for a half hour or so thinking it would eat away at the gunk in there, then started it back up and went for a drive. Could that have done it??? If it matters there is alot of carbon on the SVT exhaust taht I have had since March, like waaay more then there should be. I will check the plugs soon here. Oh and btw, it will jerk below 2500 rpm once it gets going, usually rather consistently but will too die off once the engine is warm for a while most of the time, but comes and goes whenever it wants too. could the wires have somehting to do with this? I got new double plats last year, but the wires are original. Please, any help or ideas would be useful, don't matter how crazy it is. thanks.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Rogerm60:
...Was the CAT recall done? Check for underhood sticker.

Scan for CEL codes and post.

Did you check the precatalytic converters to see if it was plugged?

You might have to do the el cheapo plugged exhaust test for the OBDI 1995 Duratec.

Plugged exhaust test.
For the OBDI 1995 Duratec, a good cheap way is to remove the O2 sensors, in this order (and see if the performance improves). Uninstall Bank 2 (radiator side) to determine if Bank 2 precat is plugged, reinstall Bank 2 and then uninstall Bank 1 (hardest one, close to firewall) to determine if Bank 1 precat is plugged.

If this doesn't pan out, you may have a plugged . Battery needs to be disconnected before uninstalling and installing O2 sensors.

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/31/06 02:30 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Missed this in the previous post.
Originally posted by Tony2005:

Plugged exhaust test.
For the OBDI 1995 Duratec, a good cheap way is to remove the O2 sensors, in this order (and see if the performance improves). Uninstall Bank 2 (radiator side) to determine if Bank 2 precat is plugged, reinstall Bank 2 and then uninstall Bank 1 (hardest one, close to firewall) to determine if Bank 1 precat is plugged.

If this doesn't pan out, you may have a plugged main catalytic converter. Battery needs to be disconnected before uninstalling and installing O2 sensors.

If your main cat is plugged, I guessed the only way to really tell is to have a shop do an exhaust pressure test.

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/31/06 03:50 AM.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Tony-
I will check that out tonight, as well as pull the plugs. Thanks for the help, and I'll let ya know what happens. Oh, could this be a computer problem? Ths mixture seems like its off, although it is a good chance it is more than that but if the computer was making it run rich then it would get bad milage and have all the junk in the exhaust.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Teenage Contour:
.... Oh, could this be a computer problem? ...

I hope it is not. You might as well check/clean the MAF and Intake Air Temp sensors when you have the hood up.

IAT sensor
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/f8/0900823d801bcaf8.jsp

According to Haynes, at 38 F, the resistance should be 35 to 40 K-ohms, at 182 F (1.9 to 2.5 K-ohms) and 218 F (1.0 to 1.3 K-ohms).

And since the PCM uses both the MAF and IAT to determine the amount of fuel to achieve the ideal air/fuel mixture ratio, you might as well clean the MAF sensor while you are at it.

MAF sensor
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=36
and
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=zetecmaint&Number=989728&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1
and
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/25/0900823d801bcb25.jsp

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/31/06 08:27 PM.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
oh boy, I can see this not being good. I cleaned the MAF when I did the induction cleaning, but the air intake sensor is just sitting next to the K&N because I didn't know what to do with it. So I will clean that tonight, but is it already a lost cause? or does it matter at all taht it is just sitting there under the hood? i think I will customize the filter tonight so I can put the sensor in it so it gets clean air. come to think of it, I believe that the computer MIGHT have said something about taht, but I can't remember for sure. But I will get to that soon and post what happened.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Put the IAT back in and you should be fine.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard