Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lou3 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
I just got back from Cottman, and they said third gear is slipping and that the ATX needs to be rebuilt. The mechanic explained that there's a sort of housing or drum that's notorious for cracking and leaking fluid. They can't replace just the housing, as related parts with lots of miles of wear would soon fail. It'll cost $375 for them to pull the ATX and inspect it, then they'll call me with an estimate for the rebuild. I really don't want to spend this money right now and considered getting rid of the car, but I think I'll have to eat the rebuild.

Is Cottman Transmission known to be reasonable and honest? Any insights or advice to minimize the financial impact of this rebuild?

P
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
P
Cottman is supposed to be good. But like the Aamco joke goes. Most cars with tranny problems don't need a new trannsmission................But they get one anyway! With that said (and myself possibly facing a similar situation) A tranny is something you don't want to fool with. The reason they want to rebuild it sounds like their acctually trying to save you money in the long run. They probably could just fix the problem for alot less money, but then you run the risk of comming back to them in a few months. If money is the major problem, explain this to them. They may have some sort of financing. Find out if the cheeper fix will at least temporarily fix the problem. Then you could do one of two things, drive it until the tranny really needs a rebuild and in the mean time save up money. Or (and I hesitate to suggest this because it's a crappy thing to do) get the cheeper fix and sell the car right away. I don't condone this as it puts really bad energy into the universe that could come back to you. But sometimes you need to look out for number one.

F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Unisys12 pinned post is good info and advice. If your going to do it I'm sure he'd recomend replacing the valve-body with the Sonnax, they have come up with all the fixes and the ATX will last much much longer. It's done by my friends shop on ever CD4E. "unisys12" has done a major amount of home work.
If he does see your post send him a direct note (PM).
He's likes to help!
Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Lou3:
I just got back from Cottman, and they said third gear is slipping and that the ATX needs to be rebuilt. The mechanic explained that there's a sort of housing or drum that's notorious for cracking and leaking fluid. They can't replace just the housing, as related parts with lots of miles of wear would soon fail. It'll cost $375 for them to pull the ATX and inspect it, then they'll call me with an estimate for the rebuild. I really don't want to spend this money right now and considered getting rid of the car, but I think I'll have to eat the rebuild.

Is Cottman Transmission known to be reasonable and honest? Any insights or advice to minimize the financial impact of this rebuild?

What the cottman mechanic said is true ... the direct drum has been known to crack and leak pressure, thus causing gears to slip. How many miles are on the transmission?

L
Lou3 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by fastcougar:
What the cottman mechanic said is true ... the direct drum has been known to crack and leak pressure, thus causing gears to slip. How many miles are on the transmission?

I know the cracked drum part is true, but it didn't make sense that a complete rebuild was needed. I've since talked to another trans shop (I didn't tell them anything about the first diagnosis), and he said it might be the drum, electrical, or another part. He said replacement of the drum didn't necessitate a complete rebuild. The car has 84K, and I bought it at 60K.

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
When you are talking about something like the Forward/Direct Cluch housing leaking fluid or is cracked, you can also be looking at premature wear from clutches and steels from the leaking fluid, etc. Drum cracks from high pressure. Question becomes how did it develop the high pressure condition. Answer - valve body is worn and needs rebuilt or at least have a Transgo Shift Correction kit installed. With the CD4E I think in your situation it makes sense to perform rebuild with new seals, steels, clutches, bearings and piston assemblies ( drum piston assemblies not valve body)

And please don't purchase the parts from Ford if you have to. Check out www.transtarindustries.com for pricing.... and www.bulkparts.com

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
L
Lou3 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
I just got back from the transmission shop. They inspected and road tested the transmission and found nothing wrong. I'm not surprised, because I didn't feel what the first shop was talking about. They flushed and filled the transmission, and the car runs fine. What a relief.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
What was the reason for your visit to Cottman in the first place?

I was reminded of this thread when I was reading your post. Unisys has said this many times whenever there are ATX issues, try changing the fluid first.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=474660&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
L
Lou3 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by Tony2005:

I took my car to a local shop to get the coolant and transmission flushed and filled. The mechanic took the car for a road test and thought the transmission wasn't going into gear right. He pointed out a couple of rough spots, was surprised I wasn't feeling them, and he said the transmission was probably a few months from failure. He apparently didn't know enough about transmissions to narrow down a few likely causes, but I deferred to his training and scheduled an appointment at Cottman. After thinking for a while about Cottman's explanation, I decided to ask an auto parts store for a trans shop recommendation so I could get a second opinion. That shop turned out to a model of honesty and integrity, and my car now feels great with its freshly filled trans. The trans shop also recommended two honest general mechanics near me. I'll be saddened to lose touch with these mechanics when I move next month, but at least I won't be $1,000 - 1,500 lighter during the move.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Lou3:
Originally posted by Tony2005:

I took my car to a local shop to get the coolant and transmission flushed and filled. The mechanic took the car for a road test and thought the transmission wasn't going into gear right. He pointed out a couple of rough spots, was surprised I wasn't feeling them, and he said the transmission was probably a few months from failure. He apparently didn't know enough about transmissions to narrow down a few likely causes, ...

If the road test was after the flush, and the transmission did not feel right, I wonder if he may have put wrong ATFluid in. The Contiques use Mercon/DextronIII. I am glad everything ended up fine for you.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard