Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by gotapex:
Well, ok. I think we're going to try both the stock Escape one and this 2.5L one, and dyno them both back to back.

The 2000 Cougar rail can support 600-700hp?

You will be the first to find out ... sucks being a pioneer. However, your tuner should be able to slowly ramp up the power and find the threshold safely.

K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Gabe,

How do you propose your going to swap manifolds? You talking swapping heads with your stock heads as well? Thats a TON of work in the name of science but would give a good indication of the different top end set ups.

I just gave this to Eloy, its a simple flow calculator you can use to see how much the rail will flow, its very simple doesn't account for fluid viscosity, friction, eddies, etc. But shows that at 500 lb/hr of fuel you need a 1" diamter pipe ie rail to support. What fuel pumps are you going to be running?

http://www.1728.com/flowrate.htm

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.
G
gotapex Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
My thought is to swap heads (and buy yet another set of copper head gaskets).

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
The 2.5 Contour manifold is volume sized for 2.5L intake pulses. Plus, the dual runners are set up for secondaries. Do you have secondaries?

2.5L intake is going to give you nothing but wasted time and a big heat sink.

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by GoppelDanger:
The 2.5 Contour manifold is volume sized for 2.5L intake pulses. Plus, the dual runners are set up for secondaries. Do you have secondaries?

2.5L intake is going to give you nothing but wasted time and a big heat sink.

1st part of that is true, designed for 2.5 with secondaries, the second statement is not true, it will not be a big heat sink. Of the two available options looking from intake valves to TB the spilt port will flow MORE air then the ovals period. Is either one optimal probably not, will it show up as a restrition on the dyno on the way to 700hp maybe, maybe not, however I guarentee he will make more power with the SVT intake manifold versus the oval. You should see how much material is removed from the oval heads to make them into a split port, its gross how bottled up the oval ports are from the factory. If Gabe runs into a restriction at least he has the heads worked to allow for the larger better flowing split port intake runners, he can then have a custom manifold made that would be optimal for a TC set up eliminating the bends, increasing volume etc....but we only have two options available at the time and he choose the best way available.

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.
G
gotapex Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Whatever happened to 96BlackSE? Was he serious about selling his ST220 manifold, or not?

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by kinger:

1st part of that is true, designed for 2.5 with secondaries, the second statement is not true, it will not be a big heat sink. Of the two available options looking from intake valves to TB the spilt port will flow MORE air then the ovals period. Is either one optimal probably not, will it show up as a restrition on the dyno on the way to 700hp maybe, maybe not, however I guarentee he will make more power with the SVT intake manifold versus the oval. You should see how much material is removed from the oval heads to make them into a split port, its gross how bottled up the oval ports are from the factory. If Gabe runs into a restriction at least he has the heads worked to allow for the larger better flowing split port intake runners, he can then have a custom manifold made that would be optimal for a TC set up eliminating the bends, increasing volume etc....but we only have two options available at the time and he choose the best way available.

Since when did more removal of more material become better? The runners on the 2.5 intake are one short and one long for the secondaries... How does it affect the airflow when you port the oval port heads to split port and have one longer runner getting air to one side and the shorter runner to the other???
How are they bottled up? Just because they don't use and UIM like the 2.5's?
And the injector position is far from optimal unless you have injectors specifially made for this setup which are gonna be spraying so it'll be properly atomized
How do you figure he'll be making more power with the svt than the oval?

BTW, im not sure if I want to sell the UIM since its probably gonna go on my engine once I drop it back in

3.0 14.392@97.237 2.302 60ft OEM 4-bolt LCA's $105 each Watch me go
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Yeah, kinger why does that manifold automatically make more power than an Oval one!? All you are doing is really moving that material out of the way for the width of that 2.5L LIM. I was looking at stazi's 2.5L heads tonight and I have very hard time believing that the amount of material you remove from matching that 2.5 LIM to the oval ports makes a large HP diff. I mean these Nobles are making close to 400 hp with plastic oval port manifolds!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well, I"m not going to assign any numbers to it because I wouldn't know that without thorough testing. However, the cross sectional area of the SVT split ports, with the area of both ports added together, is significantly more than the cross sectional area of the oval port by itself.
Then if you add to it the fact that you can overbore it more if you wish and it will still retain structural integrity since it is aluminum, I think it makes it superior.
For NA motors this isn't necessarily what you are after, but for a turbo motor like his, the stock SVT split port can definitely flow more than the stock oval port if you base the comparison on constant pressure and square area of the ports. They aren't just a little bigger, they have like 20-30% more cross-sectional area.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by warmonger:
Well, I"m not going to assign any numbers to it because I wouldn't know that without thorough testing. However, the cross sectional area of the SVT split ports, with the area of both ports added together, is significantly more than the cross sectional area of the oval port by itself.
Then if you add to it the fact that you can overbore it more if you wish and it will still retain structural integrity since it is aluminum, I think it makes it superior.
For NA motors this isn't necessarily what you are after, but for a turbo motor like his, the stock SVT split port can definitely flow more than the stock oval port if you base the comparison on constant pressure and square area of the ports. They aren't just a little bigger, they have like 20-30% more cross-sectional area.

Which one has more interior surface area?
Does high boost on a dual plane manifold with no secondaries do anything between the two sets of runners?
How do these factors affect air velocity?

Ideally, one would just create a single oval chamber above the "V" and have short runners to the heads. That is the best thing for forced induction. You just need to make sure the injectors fit, too. The plastic oval intake is the closest thing to that configuration.

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard