Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
95 Contour SE 2.5L Duratec V6, 5-speed, Standard, 55k miles

When i start it if i press the gas after letting it idle back down to normal the rpm goes down instead of up and it sputters a lot... After it runs for a while it stops doing it. at first we thought it was the 5 year old gas it had in it... but 7 full tanks later its still happening.

If anyone knows what this could be please let me know.

Is this throttle hang?

Last edited by Timbone1343; 05/01/06 09:56 PM.

95 Maroun Contour SE Duratec V6 2.5L For transportaion not raceing..
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
It might be the IAC needs to be cleaned out, also check for cracked vaccuum lines, like the green one on the egr valve.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
my fathers car is doing something like this also, his 95 is hesitating of idle. I do not believe that it happens all the time, the IAC and plugs are new, tried different tps sensors, and the wires are not that old. thinking there might be a vacuum leak maybe, any thoughts?

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
95 - check vacuum irmc diaphram. With engine off, secondaries are open. Watch linkage and have start the car, do the secondaries and/or or arm move to close the secondaries when the car is started. If not, you probably have leakin diaphram or hose vacuum leak.

bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Timbone1343:

When i start it if i press the gas after letting it idle back down to normal the rpm goes down instead of up and it sputters a lot... After it runs for a while it stops doing it. at first we thought it was the 5 year old gas it had in it... but 7 full tanks later its still happening.

Is this throttle hang?

No, this is not throttle hang. As everyone who posted suspected, it is a vacuum leak. You need to check the hoses or gaskets for leaks. One good way is to spray carb cleaner (or propane gas) at the hoses or gasket areas when the engine is running. If the idle changes (goes really high or really low), you found your leak.

Edit. Welcome to CEG .

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/02/06 12:59 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Timbone1343:

Is this throttle hang?

Can I assume the car has been sitting for a while? Have you ran some fuel system cleaner through it? I suggest Berrymans Chem-Tool.

Dueling Duratecs '95 SE V6 MTX 0 Mods '04 Mazda6 S Wagon '03 Kawasaki Z1000 But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful! Friedrich Nietzsche
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Tony:
Thanks for the welcome.
I'll check for the leak after school.

EDIT: What is throttle hang? I may need to know since my car is a Duratec V6. Is it something that only people who race would worry about? Because I dont plan on raceing or upgradeing my car beyond the sound system.

Spgoode:
Yes its been sitting for 5 years. When I bought it my uncle ran some cleaner through it. I'll look for that kind though and put it in as well.

Last edited by Timbone1343; 05/03/06 02:59 PM.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"What is throttle hang? I may need to know since my car is a Duratec V6."
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=3

"Is it something that only people who race would worry about?"
No, it occurs to most Duratec V6.

T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
So.. I can't repair the vaccume myself because I simply dont know how.
So I decided to try VIP since I get a discount there because my aunt works there. They refuse to try spraying carb cleaner at it and tell me I have to go to the dealer to have them trace it with a smoke machine.
What i'd like to know is how hard of a job it is for me to do it myself and, is there anywhere i can get a book or online "how to" to do this myself.

EDIT: Also i have been looking into the TH and my Contour idles at 750 rpm's so do i even need to do the TH fix?

Last edited by Timbone1343; 05/04/06 05:33 PM.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Autozone has all sorts of info for repairs and maintenance.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/c8/aa/0900823d801bc8aa.jsp

I am surprised that the mechanic refused to do the carb cleaner or propane gas test. Maybe they just do not want to deal with a Contour.

You should try it yourself. Pick up a $5 can of carb cleaner at Autozone or Advance and while car is idling, spray where gaskets are. Slowly moving from different areas. Throttle Body gasket, EGR gasket, air filter housing, Idle Air Control gasket, Upper Intake manifold gasket area, Lower Intake manifold gasket area, etc. The Autozone site will have pictures where this components are located. Good luck.

And don't forget to try all the suggestions (that you can manage) previously posted; IAC cleaning, etc.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1197971&Forum=trouble&Words=iac%20clean&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=1197774&Search=true#Post1197971

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/04/06 05:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard