Next Thread
Print Thread
#1559593 04/27/06 03:27 PM
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
my 98.5 CSVT has about 81k miles on it now and has 2 "broken" rear springs and a bent trailing arm on the right rear. I have a few questions:

1. At 80k miles on an untouched, stock SVT suspension what should I be looking at that needs to be replaced by now? Struts, bushings, tie rods, etc?

The car rides and drives good still, since the springs went there is a very slight clunk from the rear and the rear "wags" a tiny bit over certain bumps but thats to be expected given whats wrong with it

2. If I have to replace springs / structs anyway I want to upgrade and drop the car *no more* than 1". I would like a more performance oriented ride, but nothing rough or harsh as its a daily driver on Michigan roads. I read the FAQ and it appears that many of the spring / strut choices are no longer available. Would the best overall choice be the BAT kit for $519? Or maybe the BAT, or ??? spring and replacement SVT struts?

3. Is any of the related work easy enough for "average" driveway mechanic or is it best to take it to a shop? I realize an alignment would be necessary after this type of work. Thanks.

#1559594 04/27/06 04:48 PM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by lightngsvt:
my 98.5 CSVT has about 81k miles on it now and has 2 "broken" rear springs and a bent trailing arm on the right rear. I have a few questions:

1. At 80k miles on an untouched, stock SVT suspension what should I be looking at that needs to be replaced by now? Struts, bushings, tie rods, etc?

The car rides and drives good still, since the springs went there is a very slight clunk from the rear and the rear "wags" a tiny bit over certain bumps but thats to be expected given whats wrong with it

2. If I have to replace springs / structs anyway I want to upgrade and drop the car *no more* than 1". I would like a more performance oriented ride, but nothing rough or harsh as its a daily driver on Michigan roads. I read the FAQ and it appears that many of the spring / strut choices are no longer available. Would the best overall choice be the BAT kit for $519? Or maybe the BAT, or ??? spring and replacement SVT struts?

3. Is any of the related work easy enough for "average" driveway mechanic or is it best to take it to a shop? I realize an alignment would be necessary after this type of work. Thanks.

Bat kit is your best bet. The BAT kit hardly drops ride height, usualy about an inch all around. It gives a nice refined ride and minimizes dip and body roll while not sacrificing the quality of the ride. Im sure you will love it.... while you are at it, you may want to replace all of the Sway bar linkages.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
#1559595 04/27/06 05:01 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:

Bat kit is your best bet. The BAT kit hardly drops ride height, usualy about an inch all around. It gives a nice refined ride and minimizes dip and body roll while not sacrificing the quality of the ride. Im sure you will love it.... while you are at it, you may want to replace all of the Sway bar linkages.

+1

I'd also say replace your sway bar bushings, and clean/repack your front upper strut bearings.

With the bent rear arm, I'd contact Bill J or Steve T and just get both rear trailings arms. They are <$50 each.

And yes...all the work can be done by yourself, and a visit to your local AZ to borrow their torque wrench.

#1559596 04/27/06 08:44 PM
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
I'm in the same boat yet with 30K more miles.

I ordered the BAT sport kit and am in the process of looking for subframe connectors and a rear strut tower brace/bar.

Total n00b to the Contour word but have above average wrench skills and the desire to DIY.

Bob

98 SVT Contour (BAT strut/springs, B&M Shifter) 03 Harley Davidson F150 (modded)
#1559597 04/27/06 09:18 PM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Hey Bob! Like I said in my PM to you, a lot of these parts are going to be tough to find, and what you do find will more than likely be custom work done by fellow CEG'ers, or people they know. Thanks to svt4stv, we have a set of subframe connectors to raffle off at Spring Zing this year, so you should make your way up here for the weekend of May 18-21! Check out the Group Buy forum, where Rawburt has a thread on rear strut tower bars.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
#1559598 04/27/06 10:00 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Where can you find BAT kit for $519? I went to their web site and the kit is priced at $595... If it is really $519 then I will jump on one set.

98 Silver Frost E0 SVT. 1011/6535. DOB 05/16/97 Owned since new. Optimized y-pipe. Bosal Exhaust w/ silencer inserts. K&N intake w/ MAF. Ford Racing 9mm wires. 05 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey. Cobbs Accessport Stage 2.
#1559599 04/28/06 01:34 PM
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
Sorry, it is $595 for the BAT kit. Is it really that much better than the SVT stuff though? There is another recent threat that lists the SVT struts for $64 each, thatS $256 FOR ALL 4 PLUS $220 for the BAT springs (unless there is a better option that only lowers around 1"?). That only about $476 compared to $600 for the BAT kit, will the SVT struts hold up to a 1" lowered spring for any legnth of time?

Also, I should be replace both the endlinks, end link bushings and sway bar bushings at the same time for best effect? I only saw the bar bushing on BAT, who sell all of them?

One last ?, why would I need to replcae both rear trailing arms if only one is bent?

Thanks!

#1559600 04/28/06 01:47 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Sorry, it is $595 for the BAT kit. Is it really that much better than the SVT stuff though?
Yes

There is another recent threat that lists the SVT struts for $64 each, thatS $256 FOR ALL 4 PLUS $220 for the BAT springs (unless there is a better option that only lowers around 1"?). That only about $476 compared to $600 for the BAT kit, will the SVT struts hold up to a 1" lowered spring for any legnth of time?
Who can say, but the struts will not have enough rebound compression for the springs. Don't you think that that will cut down on their life in some manner?
Also, I should be replace both the endlinks, end link bushings and sway bar bushings at the same time for best effect?
Yes
I only saw the bar bushing on BAT, who sell all of them?
www.teamfordparts.com

One last ?, why would I need to replcae both rear trailing arms if only one is bent?
Why have one arm with brand new tight bushings...and the other with worn loose bushings.

Thanks!

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard