is there a test to see if its just that, or more

98 contour 2.0
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
You can try this.

Do the cheap test for headgasket leak.
Here is a cheap quick way to test the headgasket.
Fill antifreeze to the brim on recovery tank (leave cap off). Remove all spark plug wires. Remove all but one spark plug and have someone crank the engine. If the antifreeze bubbles over, there is leak from that portion of the engine (or cylinder). If not, go to the next cylinder, and then the next.... Note, it could be more than one area or more than one cylinder. Good luck.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1558774 04/30/06 03:14 AM
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Headgasket.

yeah id go with that. the bubbles of course mean air, whether be from trapped air when it was low on fluid and you filled it, or from the head gasket leaking compression into the cooling system.

if the gasket is bad, it can cause cooling to back up and overflow out of the tank and/or burn it. it can also lead to no heat out of heater core. and after saying its overheating under a load, id say the gasket is going.

which reminds me, absolutely stop driving it NOW! my cousin kept driving the contour i now own, well it owned him. when that gasket went, the entire motor melted down. oil shooting out the intake, coolant shooting out the overflow. couldnt even disassemble the motor.

1997 Saturn SL2-project car (salvaged now, current tear down) 1996 Ford Contour-DD, up and running again STC-OH member My SL2 and other cars
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard