Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by TaurusKev:
I can use E-85 in my Taurus

Yet I don't know where to buy it here in IL!

There's a station in elgin on larkin BLVD.

Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Can u ask him to measure his shaft and compare it to your shaft?

Y
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Y
After watching "60 minutes" on Sunday I became curious about E-85 also. Using google I found a write up were The Universtiy of Nebraska - Lincoln converted a 1999 GM pickup to use E-85. The documentation is very descriptive and highlights every aspect of whats required so the engine isn't damaged, and emissions meet federal standards. Ethanol should be seriously considered for domestic vehicles, the US needs to do many things to reduce its dependence on foreign oil; this could be one strategy.

Unfortunately the E-85 conversion isn't easy. The engine compression might need to be changed, the fuel system hardware will require major modifications due to E85's corrosive nature. The fuel system electrical components will also require changes since ethanol is more conductive than gasoline and its anodic & cathodic influences on some material have to be handled.

University of Nebraska - Lincoln E-85 project

96 Contour 2.5L 148K ATX rebuilt 2X
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Well, today I was notified about a local station selling E-85, WOW did I save money pumpin up. Was $2.51 for Ethanol vs $2.89 for unleaded regular. Ethanol so far seems to run fine... Drove about 20 miles on it...

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
lol I wrote a paper on FFV and E85 earlier in this semester. If you're looking for a decent overview go read wikipedia.

Biggest issues with E-85 is one the amount of plant matter needed to make it for the whole country.

Another is how corrosive it is. Ethanol will erode alumium/alumium alloys and eat certain paper/rubber gaskets.

And there is a MPG drop usually 20-30 percent, and requires fine tuning of the vehicle to run it super efficiently.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by yapper:
Ethanol should be seriously considered for domestic vehicles, the US needs to do many things to reduce its dependence on foreign oil; this could be one strategy.

The corn processing plant (ADM) back in my town in Iowa recently expanded to about twice it's size... hmm...

When oil runs out, all of a sudden Iowa will be the place to be!

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
lol I wrote a paper on FFV and E85 earlier in this semester. If you're looking for a decent overview go read wikipedia.

Biggest issues with E-85 is one the amount of plant matter needed to make it for the whole country.

Another is how corrosive it is. Ethanol will erode alumium/alumium alloys and eat certain paper/rubber gaskets.

And there is a MPG drop usually 20-30 percent, and requires fine tuning of the vehicle to run it super efficiently.

Which is why ya buy a FFV Vehicle that is approved to run E-85

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard