Originally posted by TC'd Swazo:
It's only oil cooled. Good point about the mounting location, though if it isn't flowing enough oil I could imagine the turbo getting too hot. I'll talk to the tech tomorrow to see what he thinks about the ideal size of a restrictor. I got a call that they've finished with the rebuild ($375 ).

I was told it was new at the time I got ahold of it, and from the way it looked I can believe it. Though, I know I could clean up the turbine housing to make it look new too.

I hate to say it, but you'd have been better off getting a new cross bearing assembly with watercooled bearings and having the housings/wheels installed. THat would have increased the longevity 10-fold at least! AND it would virtually eliminate the need for a cool down period on anything other than hard running. Call the guy up and ask him how hard it would be to add a watercooled bearing assembly, normally it only costs like $75-$100 add-on when getting a T3/4 turbo. Since he's rebuilt the old bearing he can use that on a rebuilt turbo and sell you the water cooled assembly for maybe a bit more....hopefully.

I always gave about a 1 minute cooldown after beating racing my car before shutting it off, but normal driving I just waited maybe 10 seconds and shut it off. I did have the benefit of an EGT guage and my criteria was letting the temps drop to 400 degrees C or lower at idle after getting off of it, both Turbo or N/A.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black