Print Thread
Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22
#1555572 04/25/06 10:42 PM
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
IT IS THE TURBO!

With my experience, and from what you described I am almost postive the turbo is the issue.

I got a buddy with the same issue looking for a turbo as we speak.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Meester Duratec:
It was my first inclination that the machine shop overbored too much, but we later discussed that the bore was correct and the rings were wrong. If you remember, the piston company sent the wrong rings with the order originally, but too much time had passed so they wouldn't do anything on them. I then ordered a set of Fel pro overbore rings, but they weren't big enough either. I finally had to go to Total Seal and get a set from them, plus send in the pistons to have the top ring groove cut to fit the 1.5 mm ring thickness. In any case, it was the ring issue all along in regards to thinking the bore was done incorrectly.

Rick

Let me go on record and say that before I even got my shortblock from Rick, he told me to stay at or below 300HP. IF anything is wrong with the engine, I can't and don't blame him at all for me ignoring (not to spite, but to make a point) his soild advice.

I went off of memory on any reason I could have a failure, I wasn't finger pointing or anything like that. I do feel a lot better knowing that my engine doesn't have the.... "quirk" I had originally thought it did. Looking into further PM's, you are 100% correct and my craptastic memory was at fault

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
#1555574 04/26/06 12:41 AM
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
It isn't running AS good as it had been, but it will idle fine once it starts.

The PCV system was redone when I removed, cleaned and reinstalled the turbo. The same issues are present unfortunatly.

Originally posted by LocoGSR:
IT IS THE TURBO!

With my experience, and from what you described I am almost postive the turbo is the issue.

I really do hope it is the turbo! The bearings are still good, so it's only a matter of having new seals installed wouldn't be that bad at all. Once I know if I have a dead cylinder or not, I'd bet it is the turbo.

Last edited by TC'd Swazo; 04/26/06 12:56 AM.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
#1555575 04/26/06 12:50 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Stazi:
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Originally posted by Stazi:
Trust me - I'm on the brink of wanting to sell my CSVT too. Maybe that's why I'm dragging my heels on my 3L conversion.

And for you.. SZ is right around the corner, and don't you already have a 3L? You've been talking about selling it for almost a year now. Get out there and drop the new motor in.

Mark

I know it. I got to finish of a customers car this week and get REALLY crackin' on mine. I don't know it's like 3 weeks away......

Man, once you pop in that 3L, even with the same turbo hardware it will almost be a new car all over again! I got tired of experimenting and then perfecting my kit, but the 3L gave me 2 years of enjoyment, then the turbo setup gave me over two more years. At this point I bet a 3L turbo will give you a year or two more AND it will make it easier to sell anyway if you decide later to let it go.
I'm not kidding about this but I think about my car every couple of days when I want to have fun and some days I really regret having to sell. I miss it.

Stick with it, you've gotten this far.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by TC'd Swazo:
I'm going to find out why my car is doing what it is before I do anything else.

Until the compression tester shows....

My exhaust system is filled with oil. I have a pin hole in my system about half way down the system, and there was a decent puddle under it

I've never had to deal with broken ring lands before, but wouldn't I have oil contamination on the spark plugs?
My block was bored too big for my pistons, and a set of oversized rings had to go in after the pistons were cut for them.

My PCV had failed all together (did not seal at all), and I have since replaced it with a Lightning PCV (from Checkers).... though it doesn't totally seal. I'm going to stop by the dealership and get either a T-bird turbo coupe or a Lightning PCV, wheatever seals better.

I do not have 1-way valves on my valve cover vent or PCV lines that are tapped into my intake (between my MAF and turbo). Could this be the source of my problem?

Broken ringlands:
--Yes, the plugs were oil fouled on mine and I'd expect them fouled on yours.

--Not sure on the oversized bore.

-- PCV, I recommend the stock PCV as I tried the lightning pcv and had some issues with sealing also. The stock pcv is what the car came with and works FINE. Still working fine. Mainly, you must not have any loose hoses and you must have good vacuum to it.

--I did not have any one way valves on the valve cover vents. They must be able to allow airflow both ways in case of blow-by under boost and of course for vacuum through the pcv valve running fresh air into the engine through the vents. Leave that system the way it is, put in a new stock pcv in the correct manner. Clamp your hoses.

--Oil in the exhaust. Even with two completely broken pistons with oil all in the cylinders I didn't have enough oil to make it down into the exhaust system and DEFINITELY not nearly as much smoke as you have, nor no puddling of oil into the exhaust at all!!
After this fact I'm almost convinced you either don't have the proper restrictor in your oil feed line, your oil drain is plugged up, or you have blown the exhaust side of your turbine shaft seal!
This is very easy to fix and I think you are getting too down on yourself too quickly.

Do the compression test for peace of mind, but you should also be thinking about pulling the turbo at this point.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1555577 04/26/06 01:04 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by TC'd Swazo:
It isn't running AS good as it had been, but it will idle fine once it starts.

The PCV system was redone when I removed, cleaned and reinstalled the turbo. The same issues are present unfortunatly.

Originally posted by LocoGSR:
IT IS THE TURBO!

I really do hope it is the turbo! The bearings are still good, so it's only a matter of having new seals installed wouldn't be that bad at all. Once I know if I have a dead cylinder or not, I'd bet it is the turbo.

It WONT be running as good now with you pumping the exhaust system full of oil I'd guess. Are you running a catalyst? If so it's probably shot and may not flow well at all now.
Otherwise, start checking the turbo, stop feeling depressed, get your [censored] together and start doing a proper diagnosis. It may be the rings but likely is not as no one with blow rings has had as much smoke as you or the same issues.

(sometimes you've got to hit upside the head before sense returns)

#1555578 04/26/06 01:24 AM
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Sir, YES Sir!

I've got a restrictor in the inlet flange and the return line is now 1/2" copper and is a 45* shot to the block with no areas to slow the drainage in any way. I pulled the turbo, cleaned it and reinstalled it with the same issues present.

The cat got gutted when it failed right off the bat during the intial tuning. I have yet to replace it (luckily), but plan on doing so when everything is sorted out.

#1555579 04/26/06 02:14 AM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I know that this is pretty useless to you but you might find it funny. When I worked as a diesel mechanic I had a truck come in that blew the turbo while doing roughly 75. It took longer to clean all the oil off the truck than it did to check the engine and replace the turbo. I would have loved to see the spray when it happened.

99 csvt 68 cuda fastback 340 00 gp gtp (wife) 01 gs500
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I was looking at rebuild kits for T3's on ebay when I noted they had 2 large gaskets.
I am almost sure they would go to the compressor housing and the turbine housing to seal them against the center seciton.

I do not have these on my turbo. I got the turbo in trade from a friend that was in debt to me. He'd taken apart the turbo to polish the compressor housing, but stopped trying after sanding with 60 grit.

Anyway, could this be the cause of my exhaust oiling turbo?

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Are you really asking!? (rhetorical) If it is missing gaskets I would bet the farm!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard