Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Your opinion isn't as relevant!

You have AWD which will make even poor tires run good in bad weather.

I have AWD Volvo shod in michelin Pilots (OEM) and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the handling and traction in wet, dry, and dirt roads.
I wouldn't say they'd be great on a 2 wheel drive vehicle though.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I have the Michelin Pilot sport, not sure if it's the same as yours, but they are decent enough. Nothing more than I would expect, but grippy and able to handle well. Dirt roads though, forget it in a FWD application on these!

For wet weather I am happy with the Michelin HyrdroEdge, I put them on my wife's car as she could spin a shopping cart in a parking lot!!! Very nice, although those new GY'rs are sounding quite tempting as a replacement.

On the plus side to both sets of Michelins, tire wear is nice, handling is nice (comparatively) comfort and sound is good too.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Christian:
I have the Michelin Pilot sport, not sure if it's the same as yours, but they are decent enough. Nothing more than I would expect, but grippy and able to handle well. Dirt roads though, forget it in a FWD application on these!

For wet weather I am happy with the Michelin HyrdroEdge, I put them on my wife's car as she could spin a shopping cart in a parking lot!!! Very nice, although those new GY'rs are sounding quite tempting as a replacement.

On the plus side to both sets of Michelins, tire wear is nice, handling is nice (comparatively) comfort and sound is good too.

Yeah, the michelins I have are wearing nice and still quite grippy. I've had the car a year.

On a side note, I was traveling down a dirt road two days ago and I was "testing" the limits of the handling on this car. I was tossing the car side to side at like 40 mph and it stayed balanced and in traction. I did full throttle takeoffs from a stop with the turbo singing, downshifting into second at about 40 and accelerating up to about 55mph, and the car NEVER slid or lost any kind of traction. It threw some serious rockage out behind me though!
So as I got more confident I kept tossing it around to the point where I deemed that any more overhandling would be plain foolish and went back down to a more comfortable 25mph. Oh, I also slammed on the brakes with a slight turn to the wheel from about 40 mph and she stopped quickly and straight with only a little bit of ABS action.
IT WAS AWESOME!! All I can say is that Haldex AWD system on this car is so far prefectly calibrated for any kind of driving and even these somewhat average all season versions of the Michelin Pilot series (non directional tread) handled all those environments perfectly.
Try that stuff in just a FWD car (and probably even RWD) and you'll be in the ditch at the least, dead at the worst. I know because in AZ I used to screw around on some desert dirt roads just to learn how to handle better on that kind of road and it took far less to end up against the dirt berm on the side of the road.

I'm so friggin stoked about about it, and I'm starting to become a Volvo fan more and more every day the more I start to really drive this car. The build quality on top of all the good driving and safety....it almost has it all.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard