Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
...Plugged cats usually cause other problems, not efficiency codes.

Correct.

Here is something from the TSB (in our own backyard for documentation).

"P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) Indicates Bank 1 catalyst system efficiency is below the acceptable threshold.

�· Malfunctioning ECT/CHT
�· High fuel pressure
�· Damaged exhaust manifold
�· Cylinder misfiring
�· HO2S wiring concerns (shorted or chafed, bent pins, etc.)
�· Damaged exhaust system pipe
�· Damaged muffler/tailpipe assembly
�· Retarded spark timing

Damaged Catalytic Converter:
�· Use of leaded fuel
�· Oil contamination/consumption
�· Silicone contamination (sealants/cleaners)"

It appears, if the P0420/P0430 is caused by the top eight items, yes, the engine is already running rich or lean and the engine is sent to the limp mode (I am correct here). If it is caused by the bottom three items, it should not run in the limp mode until it causes other issues. So the P0420/P0430 codes does not necessarily cause the engine to run in a limp mode immediately all the time (you are correct here).

Don't forget that many times (I even think most times) that cat effeciency codes on a Duratec Contour is a flase positive. There may not really be anything wrong. I have p[osted on that in the past.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C

Originally posted by Big Jim:
Don't forget that many times (I even think most times) that cat effeciency codes on a Duratec Contour is a flase positive. There may not really be anything wrong. I have p[osted on that in the past.

I can atest to this. I had the CEL come on a few weeks ago showing a O2 bank lean. I used the scan tool and erased the code and it hasn't showed up again yet so I don't know about those sensors sometimes.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by CSVT#49:

Originally posted by Big Jim:

I can atest to this. I had the CEL come on a few weeks ago showing a O2 bank lean. I used the scan tool and erased the code and it hasn't showed up again yet so I don't know about those sensors sometimes.

It's usually not the sensors, anyway.

More commonly, it's an issue with a temporary mechanical (vacuum leak, for example) or electrical connection fault.

Or in the case of the cat efficiency tests, a computer program that has limits that are too narrow.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Well, I'm currently going throught the P0430 code and i can DEFINITELY say that my gas mileage is affected. I took a trip just before the CEL came on. I managed about 390miles on one tank. Since it's been on, I've taken the same trip and only managed about 300miles/tank =(

I'm going to install my MIL Elminators as soon as I can. (already got them. just don't have a jack yet)

I'll keep you informed on my results!

chili

99 SVT Black/Midnight 1462 out 2760
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by ChiliSVT:
Well, I'm currently going throught the P0430 code and i can DEFINITELY say that my gas mileage is affected. I took a trip just before the CEL came on. I managed about 390miles on one tank. Since it's been on, I've taken the same trip and only managed about 300miles/tank =(

I'm going to install my MIL Elminators as soon as I can. (already got them. just don't have a jack yet)

I'll keep you informed on my results!

chili

If you need to use a floor jack I have one I can let you barrow, I even have a garage if needed.

Originally posted by Davo:
Good work, Dave. You're definitely the #1 interior guy around these parts; always innovating.

Redline Goods ShifterBoots:5% Discount
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

..or get Rhino Ramps $40 at Advance or Autozone.

My experience with the installation of Mileliminators

1) Drive up Rhino ramps ($40 at Advance).

2) Disconnect battery negative terminal.

3) Went under and unplugged connectors and then unscrewed both BOTTOM O2 sensors (22mm or 7/8 inch crescent wrench $7. You can buy a O2 sensor socket if you want, $12 at Advance).

4) In the comfort of kitchen table, splice (wire splice connectors $3) the mileliminators to the O2 sensor wires (clear and explicit instructions come with the mileliminators). Tape connection well with duct tape (water in connectors will give you P0136 or P0156 CEL codes).

5) Reinstall O2 sensors to vehicle.

6) Reconnect negative terminal battery

Took me about 1 hour 15 minutes. Vehicle might run rough for a day or so until PCM goes through the OBD II drive cycle again.

Last edited by Tony2005; 04/25/06 12:42 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Tape connection well with duct tape (water in connectors will give you P0136 or P0156 CEL codes).

Do not use Duct tape. If anything use electrical tape, but if you want to do it right use shrink wrap (can be picked up at radio shack for dirt cheap).

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by CSVT#49:
Tape connection well with duct tape (water in connectors will give you P0136 or P0156 CEL codes).

Do not use Duct tape. If anything use electrical tape, but if you want to do it right use shrink wrap (can be picked up at radio shack for dirt cheap).

Actually, I don't think electrical tape will hold longer than duct tape. We are talking about salt, dirt, grime and water. My "ghetto" duct tape connector cover is still working fine after 8 months. I am positive electrical tape would have worned out or lost its adhesive qualities by now. Note, that this is an additional cover for the connectors (which already have a rubber/plastic cover. As for shrink wrap, I will consider it when my duct tape wears out or I might just put new duct tape when it wears out. When? Who knows? But this is not one item which will keep me from sleeping at night.

Last edited by Tony2005; 04/25/06 03:06 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
why don't u use the MIL eliminators on the FRONT 2 o2 sensors?

99 SVT Black/Midnight 1462 out 2760
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
why don't u use the MIL eliminators on the FRONT 2 o2 sensors?

Because then your engine wouldn't run right.....

The front/upstream sensors control fuel mixture.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard