Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
But, honestly, on normal street tires you'll be just about equally outgunned everywhere. Don't sweat classes unless you're going to be able to do well in one.

Well, honestly I dont really care. I dont autox that often anyway. Im definitely not competitive. No biggie for me, but it would be nice when I do autox to be in a class I stand a chance in.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Decepticon:
GS is probably the best Class for a Contour. but it has to be the way it came from Ford, no open filter or anything.

Then STS is a close second but obviously alot more is allowed in that class. In GS with some good tires a SVT contour can do very well, and Depending on mods in STS it can do well also.

Depends... I was doing pretty good in GS until Coopers came along. I'm now in STS and fairly competetive... and against other cars that have many more mods than mine has.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
GS is probably the best Class for a Contour. but it has to be the way it came from Ford, no open filter or anything.

Then STS is a close second but obviously alot more is allowed in that class. In GS with some good tires a SVT contour can do very well, and Depending on mods in STS it can do well also.

Oh hell no. GS is terrible for a car that's pig heavy, pushy and soft with no camber in the front. Unless your tire budget is huge. Especially when you're cramming the meat onto a 6.5" wheel.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Wes is right. ST* allows you to fix the static camber issue, stiffen up the springs to make it transition faster (and more importantly keep the dynamic camber under control), balance the car with bars and said springs, and put on some real wheels. It has many other allowances, but just getting 225 or 245 tires on 7-8" wheels and keeping them flat is 90% of the improvement. In GS you're not only outgunned more severely, you're driving a car that's not working right: to go fast, you'll be riding around on the edges of big fat tires. That's expensive, and not that fun.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Quote:

GS is terrible for a car that's pig heavy, pushy and soft with no camber in the front

Agreed!

98 3.0 svt: Sold
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
SM is a fun place to be. I won my SM class last year, and in a atx coug at that. i got aonther coug for this season (3L, mtx, full race cage)but its still a SM car so it should be a lot of fun.

2001 2.5 Cougar with some mods 1999 3L Cougar with more mods www.cougardb.com/car.php?id=jaged www.cougardb.com/car.php?id=jaged3L
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Back when I autox'd the cooper wasn't out. I don't pay to much attention to auto'x as doesn't really appeal to me anymore

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I don't pay to much attention to auto'x as doesn't really appeal to me anymore

Holy Engrish, Batman!

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Wes is right. ST* allows you to fix the static camber issue, stiffen up the springs to make it transition faster (and more importantly keep the dynamic camber under control), balance the car with bars and said springs, and put on some real wheels. It has many other allowances, but just getting 225 or 245 tires on 7-8" wheels and keeping them flat is 90% of the improvement. In GS you're not only outgunned more severely, you're driving a car that's not working right: to go fast, you'll be riding around on the edges of big fat tires. That's expensive, and not that fun.

At least in our region... 225 is the maximum tire width allowed in STS. STX is 245 and STU is 275. SM, well.. you know.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard