#1549861 04/16/06 05:32 PM
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by bradSVT:
Thanks for the responses and all the help so far through this project.

I think I will go with keeping this â??00 engine and getting the new heads from Buckshot. Also get the new rod bearings since itâ??s suggested and will be not that much extra work since I will be in the vicinity.

I have some questions I want to clarify for my My 3.0L w/ SVT cams and matched SVT UIM/LIM Project:

1) I can use the water pump from my 2.5 engine to put onto my new heads from a â??01 engine?

2) The fuel rail from the SVT will not need to be modified since I am using the SVT UIM?

3) Deleted

4) I am using the SVT timing chain and the 3.0L timing cover?

5) Will I have to optimize my TB?

Thanks in advance for the help. I have done the searching but as we are all human I could have missed the answer to one of my questions. Most of the questions on here have just become confusing aspects of this swap to me.

Go ahead and â??flame meâ? if you must.

I revised some of the questions and since I start to take apart the engine figured out a couple others. If you could help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

3L process done
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M

I think I will go with keeping this â??00 engine and getting the new heads from Buckshot. Also get the new rod bearings since itâ??s suggested and will be not that much extra work since I will be in the vicinity.

I have some questions I want to clarify for my My 3.0L w/ SVT cams and matched SVT UIM/LIM Project:

1) I can use the water pump from my 2.5 engine to put onto my new heads from a â??01 engine? Yes, but get a new water pump(for the Contour) while you're at it.

2) The fuel rail from the SVT will not need to be modified since I am using the SVT UIM? The fuel rail is fine, you just have to modify your heads to accept the Contour LIM.

3) Deleted

4) I am using the SVT timing chain and the 3.0L timing cover? Use the Contour valve covers and the Contour timing chain cover.

5) Will I have to optimize my SVT TB? Only for fun, but it is not required for the swap. You will use your SVT throttle body, MAF, injectors, and PCM.

Thanks in advance for the help. I have done the searching but as we are all human I could have missed the answer to one of my questions. Most of the questions on here have just become confusing aspects of this swap to me.

Those are the answers that seem correct to me, but then again, I've been ignorant before.

Black 1998.5 3L Oval Port Full HMS Transmission Lots of other stuff Ressurected 06/14/06
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Thanks for the responses and all the help so far through this project.

1) I can use the water pump from my 2.5 engine to put onto my new heads from a â??01 engine?

2) The fuel rail from the SVT will not need to be modified since I am using the SVT UIM?

3) Deleted

4) I am using the SVT timing chain and the 3.0L timing cover?

5) Will I have to optimize my TB?

I revised some of the questions and since I start to take apart the engine figured out a couple others. If you could help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

1) Yes

2)Yes, you can use the SVT fuel rail. Perhaps I should say you will find the SVT fuel rail to be the most appropriate and best fit.

4) No, you will need to use a timing cover that put the sensors in the corrcct position. The SVT will match. The 3.0 might or might not depending on what kind of car it originally came on.

5) No, but the larger engine would benefit from either optimizing or from a larger one. A 65 mm throttle body would have aproximatly 20% more flow, the same increase as the displacement from 2.5 to 3.0.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Thank you guys for the help. I am stripping the engine down today

3L process done
#1549865 04/17/06 07:39 PM
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by green1999csvt:
So let's see, 4 to 6 hours at $50 to $75 per hour, guys, most people don't want to sink that much money into this endevor. They just got screwed by their engine spinnig a bearing, they want to get on the street ASAP, except for those few lost souls who want to drive a $10,000 Contour.

Most people doing a 3L swap are doing it themselves. Those that don't do their own work in the first place have a very hard time either getting a shop smart enough or even willing to complete the swap, or are using one of the Contour specific shops or member's (Buckshot, Haines, Stazi/etc.).

Time vs. money vs. longevity should be weighed heavily towards getting the new bearings, if for nothing else to check the oil passages for loose sand. Every 'yard engine should be treated as "unknown" and torn down to bare parts. Especially the rings/pistons, unless you want sludge for oil.

People that don't take the time to learn to do their own swap should be ashamed.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
#1549866 04/17/06 07:42 PM
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
And what about people who've read countless hours and are just waiting for the money to do it, but don't have an engine stand and don't trust themselves completely so they have their uncle who was a Ford mechanic for 41 years help them? Should they be ashamed too?

'99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...80K and running like it just rolled off the lot. Tryin' to add an extra .5L ASAP
#1549867 04/18/06 01:01 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by fastcougar:
Originally posted by green1999csvt:
Either do the Hybrid with SVT heads with your 2000 block, or buy the 3.0 and drop it in. I would do this. Keep your bearings, don't mess with match porting heads.

Doesn't match porting heads require major build up of welded in metal and then porting? Lots of work, not worth it if you are not a really hard core racer. If you are hard core, and like lots of work, gor for it!

And, when you spin a bearing due to oil starvation from using your SVT heads, you can then buy the 2004 Escape block ... enjoy!

Just bringing up a few counter points, how many hybrids have had spun bearings so far? I haven't heard of any. The ones I HAVE heard of are full 3L's that didnt have the bearings replaced with clevites, yes, a full 3L WITH THE EXTRA DRAINBACKS, one in particular had like only 30k miles or less on the bearings yet still spun a bearing. The extra oil drainbacks are nice, but its not so life-and-death black-and-white as your post makes it seem.

#1549868 04/18/06 02:55 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Built 7 full 3L SVT's with 3L intakes so far without any troubles. All are running perfectly still on stock bearings.

Built 3 SVT's with ported oval port heads to match SVT intakes.

Built 1 hybrid with clevites.

1999 3.0L Cougar: 220fwhp and 200tq 2003 VW Passat W8 with 4 Motion AWD http://www.cardomain.com/ride/300644 PM for intrest in 3L SVT Contours, 3L swaps into your current car, Prepped 3L engines, or anything 3L related.
#1549869 04/18/06 04:06 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
All of the above engines are running without a hitch.

(ran out of time to edit post above)

1999 3.0L Cougar: 220fwhp and 200tq 2003 VW Passat W8 with 4 Motion AWD http://www.cardomain.com/ride/300644 PM for intrest in 3L SVT Contours, 3L swaps into your current car, Prepped 3L engines, or anything 3L related.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard