The stock SVT exhaust, on an SVT or a non SVT, has a beautiful tone. It is a bit quiet, but beautiful.

There seems to be two reasons for changing or removing the resonator. One of them is for a louder tone. The other is because the resonator is slightly smaller in diameter than the rest of the exhaust so it is a bit restrictive. There is a performance improvement, but not a huge one, from removing it or from changing it to something less restrictive.

I would suggest that you install the thing and see how you like it. You can always modify it later. Mine is still stock, and I really like the tone. It sounds nice without attracting the wrong kind of attention.

My neighbor installed an SVT exhaust on his 96 SE with auto trans. He did not modify the SVT cat back. He did gut the pre cats and modify the Y pipe though. At first his car sounded just like mine. Now it is a bit louder, but not overly offensive. Personally, I would not like it any louder than his car, but it is all a matter of personal taste.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited