Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by JReebs96sport:
Originally posted by imurdaddytoo sport:
getting an svt exhuast on a stock 99 se, anybody know what the rasp situation will be, from what i have read it seems like i will need to replace the resonator.

Just wondering how other people's sounded after it was done. Hopeing not to have too much rasp

No need to replace the resonator. You probally read stuff about people who have replaced it for sound and maybe a little performance, but still no need. I believe the stock SVT resonator is a straight through design so going to a "performance" resonator will gain you no more than 2 to 3 hp. I just put on stock SVT exhaust on my se sport. It is still very quiet with no rasp, but it sounds a little throatier. I think it is a great mod for SE's , go with it!

why do anything to a contour? You get barley any gains... People do it cause they want to, the car sounds damn sexy with magnaflows plus its nice to say you have a mod.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Tourige:
Originally posted by JReebs96sport:
Originally posted by imurdaddytoo sport:
getting an svt exhuast on a stock 99 se, anybody know what the rasp situation will be, from what i have read it seems like i will need to replace the resonator.

Just wondering how other people's sounded after it was done. Hopeing not to have too much rasp

No need to replace the resonator. You probally read stuff about people who have replaced it for sound and maybe a little performance, but still no need. I believe the stock SVT resonator is a straight through design so going to a "performance" resonator will gain you no more than 2 to 3 hp. I just put on stock SVT exhaust on my se sport. It is still very quiet with no rasp, but it sounds a little throatier. I think it is a great mod for SE's , go with it!

why do anything to a contour? You get barley any gains... People do it cause they want to, the car sounds damn sexy with magnaflows plus its nice to say you have a mod.

He wanted to know if he had to replace the stock resonator to get rid of rasp, and I said no! I just explained that people replace the stock resonator more for sound that for performance, and personally I agree with you about the sound. That is why I am buying a magnaflow res!

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by morbid:
if you have headers, it might rasp when the pipes are cold... otherwise no rasp.

no, it wont rasp period

Um... I have headers with stock SVT exhaust and it DOES rasp when it's cold at around 2500-3000 rpm. It did not rasp before I installed the headers.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
I
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I
k first off to set things straight,
not doing the svt exhuast for hp, doing it for sound (plus the exhuast is free, i just have to pay installation)
second, thanx for all the help, now my only question left is how much better would it sound with a magnaflow res over the stock res?
btw i think im gonna cut the tips short/ under the bumper, cus i dont like the look of them that much

Last edited by imurdaddytoo sport; 04/11/06 12:50 PM.

1999 T-Red Contour Sport w/ 78000 miles
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
if you have headers, it might rasp when the pipes are cold... otherwise no rasp.

no, it wont rasp period

Um... I have headers with stock SVT exhaust and it DOES rasp when it's cold at around 2500-3000 rpm. It did not rasp before I installed the headers.

your car is broken..

do you have a Main Cat still??

Im running trubendz resonated Magnaflow's Weapon R headers and Y, and a hi-flow cat. No rasp ever. And yes.. it gets cold up here in Canada.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E

no, it wont rasp period

your car is broken..

do you have a Main Cat still??

Im running trubendz resonated Magnaflow's Weapon R headers and Y, and a hi-flow cat. No rasp ever. And yes.. it gets cold up here in Canada.

i tought I read gutting the precats on svt's is what leads to the rasp a lot of the time.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Gutted pre-cats will also lead to rasp.

When I installed my msds headers, I also installed a WR y-pipe and trubendz cat (not gutted). It is possible that what I'm hearing is drone and not rasp, but I had gutted pre-cats (waste of time) for about 6 months prior to installing the headers and stuff... and it did rasp/drone then too.

I'd hope Canada is colder than here.... I think pretty much everywhere else is colder than Phoenix

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
i remove my resonator and it only has a little rasp when cold once warm its perfect

2000 contour V6 ATX BAT suspension kit, k&n filter, SVT TB, SVT UIM, SVT LIM, MSDS headers, MSDS Y-pipe, SVT dual exhaust, Custum burned ADC chip, 7000k HID's, 200 amp HO alt, custom gauges, and 17" rims
I
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I
does the svt exhuast help much with the sound?

1999 T-Red Contour Sport w/ 78000 miles
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Not much. More for looks IMO. It's a little louder but not much.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard