Print Thread
Page 18 of 29 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 28 29
#1545812 05/06/06 02:52 AM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by jd28:
I was just thinking too. loose solder joint in the PCM, about 75% of electronic repair I did was solder joints. Should of suggested tapping on PCM while cranking.. Poo

Its very likely that a loose solder joint could be the casue but the internal circuitry of the PCM is almost certainly potted with epoxy for environmental and vibration protection and if so even being able to see any part of the PCM would be next to impossible.

They just want you to spring for a new PCM so this way they can be certain that the PCM is good. Then they will go from there to locate the fault or faults in the harness if there are any. I have heard several stories where Contours suddenly stop running and there are all sorts of indications on the test equipment of what it wrong. They replace the PCM and everything is fine.

If there is a problem with the harness itself it may actually be less expensive to just all out replace the entire harness rather than pay for the labor rerquired to individually test each wire to find the one that is faulty. If the PCM is the fault, I agree that $800 is a very expensive shot in the dark and if taking a shot in the dark is the plan then maybe using a second hand PCM from a salvage yard might be the way to go since there is no guarantee that it will be the cure-all solution.

Perhaps you can meet with the service manager and see if you can reason with them. Tell that you agree that replacing the PCM is a viable way to speed the troubleshooting process and that one unit may be the lone source of the probelm. But express that you are not willing to open you wallet for an $800 shot in the dark. Its worth seeing if they will make a WRITTEN deal with you that if replacing the PCM solves the problem you will pay for it and if it is not the problem then they pay for it. If they are not willing to cooperate with you then you'll need to explore other options.

From my point of view, for $800 you can go into the newspaper and find some beater that might have a smell in the interior and aybe burns a little oil, but it gets you back on the road for a year or maybe more. Plus while you own it you can do a few odds and ends and then when you decide to you can resell it for $500 and basically break even on the deal.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
#1545813 05/06/06 04:10 AM
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
I have a PCM but it's from an SVT. If you think it will work you are welcome to it. I can grab the numbers off of it for you if you'd like.

#1545814 05/06/06 12:46 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by LUCA:
I have a PCM but it's from an SVT. If you think it will work you are welcome to it. I can grab the numbers off of it for you if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer, that is nice. I have no idea if it will work or not. I think not. I spoke with Bill in Vegas yesterday and he said there are many different ECU and he needs a VIN # to get the correct one.

But thanks anyway.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1545815 05/06/06 12:47 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by LUCA:

it it is a RJL1 that it will drop right into a early 98 Contour and you will be good to go, although you will after soem time get a CEL for fuel trim at idle, the proper SVT injectors will fox that

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1545816 05/06/06 12:53 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Here is my plan. I am going to call the original shop (we kind of trust him) and see what he thinks of Ford's diagnosis. He was supposed to have checked everything but PATS.

Does anyone know if the PATS on my car (1998, 4/98 build date) is part of the ECU?

Then I'm going to run by the Ford dealer and talk with them. First I want to see how much of the $800 is parts. I can get a new ECU from Bill for $280 (plus core). If they are charging me $400- 500 or more for the part...

While I'm there I'm going to try and get some guarantees. Some limit on the cost. Some guarantee that if the new ECU blows while they are trying to figure out the wiring problem, it won't be MY problem.

Can I replace the ECU myself? Where is it? Is it beneath the power steering reservoir? Is it pretty easy to pull and replace? I'm wondering if I ought to pay them the $100 diagnostic fee, get the $280 computer from Bill, put it in myself in the Ford parking lot, and then tell them to take a look at the wiring problem...

This just sucks. Maybe JSmith is right. My wife's uncle has a very cheap Pontiac (I4 150k miles) I could drive tomorrow. I'm wondering about the devil you know versus the one you don't though.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1545817 05/06/06 01:29 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
from what I have read after 2/98 build dates the PATs went internal to the PCM, so that deal would have to program teh keys once the new PCM went in

yes it is below the power steering resivor and it is pretty quick and easy to get to

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1545818 05/06/06 11:24 PM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
But remember my offer does stand if you get it back. I get out of work at 4pm everyday and wouldn't mind at all coming up to help ya try and figure it out. Let me know

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
#1545819 05/07/06 01:28 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
well I was just going through my 99 Ford service CD and they have a pin point test for a no start condition. I believe I answered all the questions correctly based on what you have said in this thread and it directed to replace the pcm

I don't remember the name of the site but it has been posted a few times but you can download the Ford Sevice cds and this has the pinpoint tests

#1545820 05/07/06 01:12 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by BrApple:
well I was just going through my 99 Ford service CD and they have a pin point test for a no start condition. I believe I answered all the questions correctly based on what you have said in this thread and it directed to replace the pcm

I don't remember the name of the site but it has been posted a few times but you can download the Ford Sevice cds and this has the pinpoint tests

just thinking about it more and some of the pin point tests were about fuel pressure and I am not sure that you were able to check that ... I would still try to find the 98 Service CD online and check it out

#1545821 05/07/06 03:46 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Thanks again everyone I appreciate all of the help.

I called our mechanic yesterday morning and just kind of told him what Ford was telling me. I sort of trust him since I know he is not a friend to this Ford dealership...

I asked if they tested the PCM. He said they tried, but couldn't get any signal from it. So that added up to him. Plus the PATS is part of the computer.

I then stopped by the Ford dealer and talked with a Service writer guy. He wsa super nice. The $793 I was quoted included the diagnostics, new PCM and install and some wiring harness (it said something about fuse box) and install. So it was more than I thought. I told him to go for it.

Then on the way to the Mystic aquarium with the kids (they LOVED it- it was my daughters first time) I called him back twice to ask questions. One was about PATS, and he said that Yes they will program the new computer to our keys.

I also MADE SURE they he knew they weren't to go any farther. If they do this work and replace these parts and still no go, then we have a big decision to make. I told him to make it work though!

Anyway, thanks again. I truly do appreciate all of the suggestions and offers of help. I will post again when there is news. Hopefully I will drive to work on Thursday...

Page 18 of 29 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 28 29

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard