Originally posted by 1turbofocus:
You mean "hack" as in using a 80 or 90MM MAF housing that has poor resonance crappy 4 bolt flanges thet leak if you try to do them blowthrough and couplers that cost you 2 times the money because you need odd couplers to connect the 3.25 to a 2.5 pipe and 3.5 to 2.5 , thats just insane to tell anyone or recomend that they be used

It amazes me that some can run there mouth with slander and yet have a hard time backing it up with anything

Yes like i said i have done FI on a Zetec both ways and the load calculations at 300HP and 6200RPM were with in .010 of each other so how is this "hack tuning" you guys keep saying it but have yet to back that up either

Tom

Well, FWIW, those MAF's were designed for draw-through configuration and they work well in that config. If you've got to do a blow through then do it but that is what comes with the territory. BTW an adapter plate of sheet metal works beautifully on a large diameter MAF to filter connections and couplers for the pipes.
We never have the same issues on the duratecs that you are describing.

On another note, what do you know about resonance in the MAF? Have you done some measurements or calculations on it???

As far as backing up the hack-tuning comment, it is a matter of opinion; and the standard by which we are measuring that opinion is based upon a stock air and fuel measurement system with stock-like fuel delivery and driveability. As for me:
Anything that reduces one of these variables to operate in condition less effective than what the designers intended when there are other options available would be a hacked method. Rising rate FPR's were a method but considered hack tuning today. At the time they worked. We have it much better now.
So anyway, you stated you didn't feel it was a hack method and therefore it is just a difference of opinion, no harm there.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black