Originally posted by 1turbofocus:
warmonger , It has become clear to me that you and many others DONT understand how the MAFia works

The MAFia DOES NOT change the stock electronics "range" it still will be limited to .001 to 4.999 Volts

It also DOES NOT change the sampling points

This is a crude way to say how it works but let me try it this way and maybe many can understand it better if you have say 3.000 Volts with the MAFia set to say 4 setting this would be -40% OFF the 3.000 Volts = 1.700 Volts that now goes to the ECU this same -40% works through out the entire .001 to 4.999 range If you are on setting 4 , There is ways to correct for this in ANY tune because i have done it with the

Diablo ( has all the math done where you just hit the "4" setting and it calculates it all in the tuning software

Sniper and SCT can be done 1 of 2 ways either by changing the Maf Transfer Functions or by the High/Low slopes for the injectors

This is VERY simple VERY accurate devise to use there is NOTHING on the market that will replace the ease of use or cost of your meter maxing out

Tom

Well that is sort of a true statement, I DON'T fully understand how it works and I don't understand why it was invented in the first place for a street/strip car with all the other options out there.
I'm going to assume you weren't talking to me when you implied we are stuck in the stone age about car tuning and in general don't know what we are talking about.

You act like we haven't figured out how to tune a contour, or a turbo duratec contour. We DO know how and we actually have an affordable, VERY MODERN method now in the SCT chip/tuning kit or PRPackage.
You have to admit that sizing the correct maf for the correct expected airflow range is the proper way to do it, wouldn't you say? I'll grant you there must be specific cases where using a MAFia would be easy and just what the doctor ordered, but so far there isn't a situation here that isn't easily solved by either a chip, flash, SAFC, eManage, another MAF, or combination. Some of these are dirt cheap.

There definitely is such a thing as too big of a MAF for the job, but proper sizing and then tuning fixes that. Having plenty of data points in the area you want to increase your sensor resolution will help in difficult tuning with a very large maf. But, ONLY in the case of a very small engine with a very high pressure ratio could I see a case where a larger MAF is too big. For the boosted 2.5/3L engines the 80mm lightning/cobra mafs are fairly easy and straightforward to tune and offer plenty of low-rpm resolution as well as the obviously larger sampling range for higher airflows. Hell, this is Fords EEC-V, the thing will practically tune itself if you get the MAF data points figured out and entered properly!!

So going back to the MAFia, there are other products that already do what you have stated. I made most of my arguments based off of Buttonpuncher's "selling points" so if there is any misunderstanding then that is why.

However, I see no need to use MAF trickery of any kind when you can get a good custom tune with a differnt MAF and Injectors of your choice for less than $500 total.

If you are a complete freak you can get the PRP and Xcal2 flashing device for around $600. Add to that $150-$250 for a lightning MAF AND injectors...and you are into complete, total engine control for less than $1000. And I better mention you can use this setup to tune any level of power you want assuming you sized your maf and injectors right, with at least 400 wHP with stock lightning hardware, more with bigger injectors.
As far as just tuning the engine via just the MAF, the GReddy eManage is by far the most superior MAF scaling product that I have seen and used!
It can be used with or without a laptop with 6 potentiometers to set various parts of the airflow range, such as the -40% you talked about or you can hook up the laptop and get 16x16 aiflow map with even greater rescaling ability.
If you want a global change of say 20%, it has a multiplier section as if you wanted to change the whole curve that way. You just punch in the factor of 0.80 and it reduces fuel by 20% less.
If you want more fuel you can adjust go with a ratio greater than 1.0 or use the 16x16 map for MAF voltage vs. several variables (like boost pressure, throttle position,etc). If you have a hole, you can add fuel at specific rpms versus specific boost pressure, tps, maf, etc. That is an awesome ability! Using the GReddy boost sensor you can leave the system completely stock and only add fuel when the boost starts to climb, giving you stock driveability under normal circumstances. You can also datalog every sensor hookup that it has along with sensor outputs that you can save to graph later. This can be combined with engine tuning software to dial in your hardware in the same way, by having a 40% reduction in MAF voltage you can adjust your MAF points in teh software and not have to change the MAF right away...if that is what you really wanted to do.
And you can get it in the $200s nowadays. It can really stretch the usefull range on your maf with these methods. Not to mention that for some cars it can do timing adjustments too.

So no, I can't imagine the MAFia doing more with less.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black