I can see where you guys are coming from by sticking with a larger stock MAF. You have a rock solid transfer function. There is no chance of a calculation error. BUT you are still stuck with a fixed power level.

I've gotta say that this still sounds like a valid product. I'm an electronics guy and it just makes sense. The MAF measures the speed of the air going through it by varying the current through the MAF wires to keep a constant temperature. That current is then turned into a voltage which the PCM can understand. Because the PCM is a logic device, it can only understand a 0-5 volt range. The manufacturer produces a MAF that will put out a voltage range that corresponds the the car's designed power range. Through normal data logging you will never see anything over 5 volts. The PCM's power supply rail is fixed and it can't read anything higher. Your MAF could put out 50 volts, and the PCM would only see it's maximum of 5.

I bet that if you connected a voltmeter to the MAF and then ran it over it's stock limits, it would definitely go above 5 volts. That is the only way that products like the Mafia and Mafextender can work. I wish I had some kind of industrial leaf blower to test my theory.

It also makes sense to me because you can set your MAF to the exact power output range that you are shooting for. You just multiply your transfer function/slopes by the adjustment factor.

I'm not trying to be cheap. I'm just looking for more/better options. I just think that it's wrong for people to blow something off as a "ricer mod" before actually looking into it.

This mod is basic math. You are doing a linear conversion with either an op-amp or microcontroller. This isn't a cludged fix.

I'm still temped to give it a try with my current low-boost project. I probably wouldn't go with a commercial product like the MAFia. I'll just build a voltage divider using an op-amp. I'm pretty sure I have a couple TL082's laying around.

BP

Last edited by ButtonPuncher; 04/04/06 10:54 PM.

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.