Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
Originally posted by warmonger:
So I'm guessing you have to use one of their special MAFs in order to get the 7 volt output scale, then you are rescaling it with electronics to fit back into the factory 0-5v scale?

Nope, no special MAF required. The stock MAF can put out over 5 volts. It's just that the PCM can't understand anything over 5 volts. The MAFia or Mafextender just scales the voltage down to the 0-5 volt range that the PCM can understand.

$150 for something that can make your stock MAF the size that you need and not waste resolution. Sounds pretty good to me.

BP

Not me. Sounds like a waste of money.

Especially when you understand that the "MAF" doesn't "put out" any voltage of its own. It has a source/reference voltage that comes from the PCM and it 'does something' from this voltage. Think of the pcm maf wires as ~5v battery, +/- 1 volt and the MAF as a circuit that uses that voltage and returns some portion of that voltage. 7 volts seems out of the range to me.
If the Mafia does something to amplify the signal and then rescale it then perhaps.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black