Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
blu_fuz Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Stazi:

Unless you're in the habit of taking jumps like the Dukes of Hazard you will NEVER fully exyend your struts.

What about hard cornering??? sometimes the tire lifts off the ground right.... i just saw a picture of that - hmmmm?

EGPLNT:MY 95' SE MTX SVT *200,000 MILE CLUB* 6/06/06 - 201,000 MILES
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I've never seen a contour with a front tire off the ground... only rears, which most stock SVT's can should be able to do.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Correct - the front tires on a front-heavy car do not come off the ground. The only cars I know that routinely lift a front are Porsche 911s. They have a very stiff McPherson front suspension with very little weight on it.

Again: I guarantee you my camber plates see more abuse of the type the will ruin an alignment than anyone else here. The top plate is not an issue.

Anyone who thinks the plate should put pressure on the strut tower: have someone crank the wheels from lock to lock while watching the strut move: then tell me you want that torqued down.

Yes, 1/4" is a bit much. But I don't think it matters. The real problem is that you're running out of rubber on the hat, which provides some needed play.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Correct - the front tires on a front-heavy car do not come off the ground. The only cars I know that routinely lift a front are Porsche 911s. They have a very stiff McPherson front suspension with very little weight on it.

Again: I guarantee you my camber plates see more abuse of the type the will ruin an alignment than anyone else here. The top plate is not an issue.

Anyone who thinks the plate should put pressure on the strut tower: have someone crank the wheels from lock to lock while watching the strut move: then tell me you want that torqued down.

Yes, 1/4" is a bit much. But I don't think it matters. The real problem is that you're running out of rubber on the hat, which provides some needed play.

Phil, I see you fully understand me.

Now, if only the rest would.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Wow you guys got me worried lol Mine drop in and touch the towers. I thought they get 34lb of tq on them.... Should I loosen them up before something happens... I guess the only reason they are there is for when jacking the car up the struts don't fall too far?

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
AFAIK, they are there to prevent the hats falling out of the tower - just about impossible - and to keep crud out. Torquing them down is not a problem provided the nut is being torqued against the nut on the strut shaft, holding the hat on, and not against the tower itself. As long as there is no stress on the plate it's fine.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
The other problem is I have an OMP bar installed.. The omp plates do touch the very top plates... I did already have the passenger side strut break at the plate that holds the spring on. Basicly there was no thread on the strut shaft after that. But BAT did send me a new one and said throw the old one out. I'm going to snap some pics. Now I'm really worried lol

Don't mean to hijack this thread

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
B
blu_fuz Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
i got ya stazi..... I understand now what that top hat is actually for - the more info the better. I agree with all the points addressed in the posts... thanks everyone. - JOE

EGPLNT:MY 95' SE MTX SVT *200,000 MILE CLUB* 6/06/06 - 201,000 MILES
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard