Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
S
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Originally posted by SVTDave:
Originally posted by Ray:
Why "start fresh" with an engine with almost 100K on it already? I know, I know.. you would "rebuild" it, but you're still using a 100K mile engine that's been rebuilt.

Why not pay $100-$250 more and get an 01+ with 15K or 10K(or hell even LESS if you search around) miles?

Well, that's why I was asking you guys' advice!

Now I know to get an '01+ engine...see, isn't that how this forum stuff is supposed to work?

Thanks for the response. As you can probably tell, I'm still in the "gathering info" stage. My car is in great running condition as of right now...I'm just wanting an engine I can take my time to rebuild and make right without taking my driveable car off the road.

Yes, but that information has been passed numerous times nad is also in the stickies.

I didn't see where anyone listed reasons why 01's are better to use than 99's. But my question is now answered...isn't that the important part? And the reason forums like this exist?

Dave 2000 Ford Contour SVT 2.5L V6 (all mine) 2004 Mercury Marauder DOHC 4.6L V8 (Dad's) 1970 Volkswagen Beetle 1.6L (Resto Project)
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by giddyup306:
What about a 1999 Taurus 3.0 Duratec? I can get one pretty much complete for a tad less than $200. The odo in the car says 99k miles. My plans are to rebuild it while I still have my stock SVT 2.5 in my 'tour...

I beieve with the 99 motor you will have to make a hybrid and you will have to modify the bellhouseing. It is a hell of a lot more work than an 01+ oval port swap. But if you don't mind doing some extra work...

A hybrid is more work than an oval port swap?!?! Now that's a good one! Total B.S. You have to modify the bell housing on all 3L's when mating a 3L to the Contour transaxle, or clearancing the extra tang for the SVT cooler. For the oval port head swap, you either have to modify the heads for the twin port Contour manifolds, or fabricate a fuel line (if you've got a return system).

The fact is, there is no "best" engine out there that fits everyone's needs. To some, "best" is going to get them the most HP ('01+ oval port to twin port adaptation seems to be the hot ticket). To others, "best" is going to be as cheap as possible (junkyard '99 hybrid for less than $850 total for mine). To others, it's going to be which one is easy... then that brings up which one everyone thinks is easiest... and that's another opinion based answer.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Originally posted by Ray:
Why "start fresh" with an engine with almost 100K on it already? I know, I know.. you would "rebuild" it, but you're still using a 100K mile engine that's been rebuilt.

Why not pay $100-$250 more and get an 01+ with 15K or 10K(or hell even LESS if you search around) miles?

Well, that's why I was asking you guys' advice!

Now I know to get an '01+ engine...see, isn't that how this forum stuff is supposed to work?

Thanks for the response. As you can probably tell, I'm still in the "gathering info" stage. My car is in great running condition as of right now...I'm just wanting an engine I can take my time to rebuild and make right without taking my driveable car off the road.

Yes, but that information has been passed numerous times nad is also in the stickies.

I didn't see where anyone listed reasons why 01's are better to use than 99's. But my question is now answered...isn't that the important part? And the reason forums like this exist?

Your right, not in this specific thread.
01+ are preferred because of a redesign/cast piston design..I can't remember which.

Ryan Trollin!
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G

I think the whole thing is that the 01+s have an extra drain back hole (and you can use the 3.0l heads). 3l valve are in and you don't have to replace the head gaskets. Much less work is required to make it work. That is if you can only use the 2.5 heads... I know for damn sure that anything with the 2.5 heads had the oil puddiling problem (but you can modify that too).

The ONLY 96 (engine) 3L Build 'em fast. Spray 'em faster. ricehatersclub.com
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

I think the whole thing is that the 01+s have an extra drain back hole (and you can use the 3.0l heads). 3l valve are in and you don't have to replace the head gaskets. Much less work is required to make it work. That is if you can only use the 2.5 heads... I know for damn sure that anything with the 2.5 heads had the oil puddiling problem (but you can modify that too).

WUT!?

Ryan Trollin!
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
What are you confused about????

The ONLY 96 (engine) 3L Build 'em fast. Spray 'em faster. ricehatersclub.com
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W

For N/A engines yes. For FI'd engines then the revised piston on the '01+ engines is much better.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard