Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
They need to sell it as the supercharger and bracketry only... that's the way I can see them getting the most sales.

You'd be better off making the passenger fenderwell like the driver's side and then putting the maf in the fenderwell. That would take care of all your flow issues... especially since i'm not a big fan of blow-through maf setup to begin with.

You want that 90 deg bend out of there so the air is flowing through the tube uniformly... if you more air flowing on one side (which I believe it what happens when you have a bend) you can get innacurate reporting from the maf since it's in the middle of the tube.

Pro-M at one time was making a maf that had measuring spots all around the tube to account for intake designs like this.

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Agreed.

You can get a 90* silicone elbow on the input and run a draw through MAF into the passanger sidefender well easily. Like this..

I have one of these elbows on my turbo and cut the side that mounts to the inlet down to where it's only wide enough for a t-bolt clamp. IMO, there is more than enough room in it's currant setup to pull this off.
SCT's PRP would be ideal for tuning and the usage of a Ford MAF or an SCT MAF along with properly sized injectors for your target power output. Might as well change the fuel pump out if you plan on putting decent power down (Who wouldn't if going to all of this 'trouble'?)

Clock the output to aim downward and run it through a universal type FMIC and run back up the drivers side to the TB. Here is something off of ebay that'd work for a pretty good deal Low cost FMIC, piping and couplers w/ clamps....... not bad

Relocate the coolant resivor and move the battery to the trunk like others have said, and you're on your way to a good upgrade.

As a tuner kit, this would be a good option. I'd s%&^ can the rest of the kit.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
You guys are missing all the other points, points that are a benefit to the placement of that maf. The further away up the intake tract that the MAF is then the harder it is to tune for on/off throttle rich/lean conditions, etc.
You will get more rich/lean spikes from sudden changes in throttle application simply because of the length of the column of air between the maf and the cylinders. It also makes running a blow-off valve easy instead of having to tune around dumping metered air and having backfires and stalling.
The location of the maf in front of the TB is only a few inches from stock as well and if you have an intercooler before it that distributes the airflow evenly plus cools it, I can only see one or two negative points to a blow through as opposed to the single negative I mentioned above.

But, you are correct in that it is simply a piece of pipe anyway, intake routing can be your choice since it is the compressor and belt drive system that are the hard part.
That setup there kicks arse IMHO as a starting point.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
It would make routing easier to have the MAF right by the TB, but I see your point about tuning too.

With a draw through MAF used in a blow through application, you want to have the piping the same size as the MAF within 8"-12" before and after the MAF.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Everyone is talking about a FMIC or a water to air intercooler like the one ADC uses. Why not use a front mount water to air intercooler and run the intake pipes exactly where the cold air intake would go? Wouldn't this really solve the main concerns?

Black 1998.5 3L Oval Port Full HMS Transmission Lots of other stuff Ressurected 06/14/06
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by muntus:
Why not use a front mount water to air intercooler and run the intake pipes exactly where the cold air intake would go?

If you're gonna mount it in the front there's really no point in making it air/water.

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
It was my understanding that the water to air is more effecient, regardless of where its mounted.

Black 1998.5 3L Oval Port Full HMS Transmission Lots of other stuff Ressurected 06/14/06
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
water to air isnt always more efficent when i had my cummins ram i had an air to air, my temp drop was greater than a friend of mine with a water type(No i didnt have a stock truck either- PnP, multi-geometery turbo, banks kit, 3 core FMIC, 5 inch exhaust, propane injection and 50/50 water/methanol injection)

00 Contour SVT Black #557 of 2150 Fabricated Nov 24 1999 Currently unmoded
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by muntus:
It was my limited understanding that the water to air is more effecient, regardless of where its mounted.

fixed!

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Water to air can be more efficient... but it eventually becomes limited by ambient temp just like an air to air... what do you think cools the water after it sucks all the heat from your compressed air... it's the ambient air.

Water/Air IC's are typically used in one-shot cars like drag cars so they can pack them with ice... or in the case of the contour, cars w/o a good spot/room to put an air/air.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard