Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Well that's kinda frightening. How many people put those kits on their cars?? Ouch.

Original owner of mine! His last update to his Registry said something about 42# injectors waiting to go in.

It does have this "Vortech" hugenormus fuel pressure regulator. Maybe if I knew what "FMU" was, I could speculate at if it's still on my car (thinking Fuel Management Unit, but I could be wrong...)

Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 03/24/06 03:28 PM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Well that's kinda frightening. How many people put those kits on their cars?? Ouch.

Original owner of mine! His last update to his Registry said something about 42# injectors waiting to go in.

It does have this "Vortech" hugenormus fuel pressure regulator. Maybe if I knew what "FMU" was, I could speculate at if it's still on my car (thinking Fuel Management Unit, but I could be wrong...)

Big blue thing, up by the um brake master cylinder.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
The return fuel line runs through the FMU. The more boost that goes in, the harder it pinches off the return line raising the rail pressure. On Rev Po'Jay's we hit 100psi on the fuel rail.

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Seems like a potentially dangerous way to increase available fuel. Then again, I'm fairly new to this FI stuff.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Keyser:
The return fuel line runs through the FMU. The more boost that goes in, the harder it pinches off the return line raising the rail pressure. On Rev Po'Jay's we hit 100psi on the fuel rail.

So... maybe the big black hugenormous thing with the Vortech lines is the FMU? All it has is the 2 fuel and 1 vacuum line... which is why I thought it was a regulator... which what you explained technically is.

Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 03/24/06 11:20 PM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Keyser:

Don't I know it! That was a duck, run, and/or hide moment for sure. Good Times!

SVT Parts For Sale!PM Me. 2006 M6 Cyclone Gray GTO 1995 Mazda Protege Commuter Special 93 FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide I'm A TROLL Now!~
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Actually, I've been looking at the responses and I'm quite suprised with all the negativity about it. It isn't that bad.
THe MAF location may only present a problem at idle but can be overcome with more tweaking. Of course the low airflow and the 90* turn are the reasons, but it is definitely workable I think. At cruise and full throttle it will work just fine because the air is forced anyway.
I wouldn't count it out until someone actually tests it.

I say this because of my experience working with some of the big Pro-M mafs and cut stock mafs.
You can get a decent tune but idle is the hardest due to the sampling tube configuration in them.
IMHO this would be easier to tune than both of those types I just mentioned even if it is not ideal.

Couple this thing with an decent tuner or an XCAL2, and proper injectors instead of all that FMU crap and it may be a decent performer, especially for an ATX!

I would rather just use a SCT PRP setup and spend some time tuning this in than to ever deal with a Vortec seal/jackshaft issue.

If you really want it to be finished off right, it needs a battery relocation and the addition of a water to air system like is on the ADC kits, only in front of the MAF and leaving the MAF where it is now. That would cool down the air making a blow through almost a non-issue, raise the power and reliability, and fix the 90* bend issue at the same time because the airflow would be straightened out completely after going through the intecooler cores.

o IMO "completing" this kit would solve all the issues noted and still make it available for the ATX car. Add an ATX 3L to the mix .... hmmm. Hope the transmission holds.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
The best part of this kit is the Rotrex compressor and its mounting bracketry. If you take those by themselves you can imagine a much better lay out for the subsequent piping. That alone makes this a great addition to our forced induction possibilities.

A blow through MAF would not be a "major" issue if you reworked the piping before and after the MAF to include 6-8" of straight pipe. This would also go well with the talked about thinking of different pipe routing.

I was thinking about the same thing. This is a great step forward and the things that are issues are relatively easily solved in my opinion.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by warmonger:
o IMO "completing" this kit would solve all the issues noted and still make it available for the ATX car. Add an ATX 3L to the mix .... hmmm. Hope the transmission holds.

I think that might be a bit much for the CD4E. Although the new 3L Escape can be hooked up with an SC kit...

As I said, I'm considering this kit, but I am a stoopid nube when it comes to FI and I don't want to make any major mistakes that would render my car and/or the new kit useless.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
The best part of this kit is the Rotrex compressor and its mounting bracketry.

That's no Rotrex. The Rotrex uses a planitary drive with a special closed loop oil system.

It looks like they just copied a Vortech or Paxton but left the belt/gears exposed.

They are actually better off by using a real turbo compressor. This is actually a step up from the Rotrex, IMHO. The Rotrex superchargers use a friggin' Holset compressor. The map is horrible. It's obvious that it was meant for a diesel.

BP

It looks like a Pro-charger to me. Still a good belt driven cog drive compressor. Oil-less and fairly quiet system to make installation easier as well. Also cheaper to maintenance and repair, or even replace than a vortec.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard