Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by Kokopellian:
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
Originally posted by Tourige:
How do you play catch up with something that happened 200 years ago that has nothing to do with whats going on now.

And that sentence, my friends, says it all. Every time I hear the call for "reparations" I get so angry I can't see straight. You want reparations? Fine, we'll give you money for taking your ancestors, and hence you, out of the "homeland", but you shouldn't get to stay here and spend it. If you want the money, then you should have to move back to where you say you're so upset about being taken from.

That would put an end to it. I haven't owned slaves any more than any of them have been slaves. Reparations are just one more way to avoid responsibility and bettering ones self. It would be just one more governmental handout that would ultimately serve no purpose whatsoever.

Wow, the thoughts reflected in some of the posts here and throughout this thread are very common throughout the United States and they are a big reason that racism and segregation continue to prosper. Yes, the history did happen 173 years ago but of course it has something to do with today. In the history of things, that is not that long ago, and as someone pointed out, it still took 90 years for segregation to end (legally) after slavery was abolished.

I'm black, Afro-American, or whatever other PC term is currently in use today and I've done very well for myself and my family given my socio-economic status and race coming up. I don't run around waving the race card and I'm not a walking stereotype either. I don't believe in reparations in the least, and I think that Affirmative Action is a nesscessity, but it's also a double-edged sword at the same time. The system sucks, racism still exists, and yes it does hold people of color back. That's a fact. Even the penal system is skewed to take advantage of the lower class poorer citizens. Although whites are included in that class a large portion of that class consists of minorities. For example, why is it that the CEO of the defunct Enron Corporation is still a free man spending some of the MILLIONS of dollars that he defrauded thousands of people out of on his legal defense, when a minority on the street caught with a handful of drugs will most likely face 10-20 years in prison?

Don't get me wrong, a portion of bad race relations, stereotypes, and ignorance is perpetuated by minorities. I understand that is a fact and minorities need to do a better job of presenting ourselves. Dealing with racism and inequality is an uphill battle and it will take another few hundred years to undo but it will require EVERYONE'S help, understanding, and open mindsets. It always bothers me when someone says "I didn't own slaves" "I don't segregate" "I'm not racist" "I didn't do this, I wasn't a part of that, I never did this....." etc. It's not about what you did or didn't do, it's about what you're doing to make it better. Even a small actions help. We all have to live here....

I'm not sure how being against reparations makes one racist. The thing is, the majority of the people calling for reparations aren't helping to make things better. It's a cause that will do nothing but to further divide the races and the country. Those paying for it will see it as a handout to someone who never experienced it and therefore doesn't deserve it. I'm against any kind of government handout to anyone, be they black, white, or purple. In an ideal world, gov't assistance would be short term, and would include some form of vocational training.

As far as the Enron CEO compared to a minority drug user, that's comparing apples to oranges. You might as well compare O.J. getting off a murder wrap to some hillbilly that gets time for abusing a dog or cat. The drug user will get 10-20 years, regardless of his skin color. It's not a matter of racism, it's a failure of the judicial system. It's a sad state of affairs that crimes against property are more severely prosecuted and punished in many cases than crimes against one's person....but that's another thread topic by itself!

Yes, I agree that racism isn't dead. I also think it's naive to expect that it ever will be. There will ALWAYS be people who hate anything and anyone different from them, regardless of how and where they were raised. It's a fact of life.

{stepping off my soapbox}

Last edited by IRingTwyce; 03/23/06 06:21 PM.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
Originally posted by MxRacer:
He's referring to the black vs white kids in the ghetto OR black kids vs white kids in the suburbs.

You can't just compare someone from the suburbs (who are generally more well off) with someone in the ghetto.

Countering your statement, does a white kid in the ghetto have the same opportunities as a black kid in the suburbs?

of course not. but, remove your head from your buttocks and realize that 90% of the people living in ghetto type areas are blacks and other minorities.

and if you have a white kid and a black kid in the same neighborhood, do they have an equal shot at life? sure. right up until they hit the workforce.

jesus christ you people are rediculous.

Wow! May I ask how you grew up?

I am white and my mom, my sister, and I grew up on a $500/month child support check and gov't assistance. Realize that $250/month of that went to rent to slumlords. I've waited in line at a food bank to get some gov't canned food. I've gone dumpster diving to get clothes/toys. I've gone to bed hungry/cold because we didn't have any money.

When I graduated High School, I couldn't afford to go to college, so guess what? I'm in the Air Force working a low-asvab-score job (I didn't get a low score, I was voluntold that this was my job in basic).

Don't tell me to get my head out of my ass!

<shakes hand> That's rough there. You my friend are are an exemplary man with impeccable character. I commend you and congrats for overcoming.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
<shakes hand> That's rough there. You my friend are are an exemplary man with immpeccable character. I commend you and congrats for overcoming.

Thank you...

It actually brought a tear to my eye when he told me to get my head out of my ass.

Anyway... MX, no hard feelings, man!

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
I am white and my mom, my sister, and I grew up on a $500/month child support check and gov't assistance. Realize that $250/month of that went to rent to slumlords. I've waited in line at a food bank to get some gov't canned food. I've gone dumpster diving to get clothes/toys. I've gone to bed hungry/cold because we didn't have any money.

When I graduated High School, I couldn't afford to go to college, so guess what? I'm in the Air Force working a low-asvab-score job (I didn't get a low score, I was voluntold that this was my job in basic).

Don't tell me to get my head out of my ass!

[/end rant!]

That is the kind of personal responsibility I'm talking about! You have my respect Kane....and my gratitude. I appreciate what you're doing for our country!

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Tourige:
How do you play catch up with something that happened 200 years ago that has nothing to do with whats going on now.

And that sentence, my friends, says it all. Every time I hear the call for "reparations" I get so angry I can't see straight. You want reparations? Fine, we'll give you money for taking your ancestors, and hence you, out of the "homeland", but you shouldn't get to stay here and spend it. If you want the money, then you should have to move back to where you say you're so upset about being taken from.

That would put an end to it. I haven't owned slaves any more than any of them have been slaves. Reparations are just one more way to avoid responsibility and bettering ones self. It would be just one more governmental handout that would ultimately serve no purpose whatsoever.

Wow, the thoughts reflected in some of the posts here and throughout this thread are very common throughout the United States and they are a big reason that racism and segregation continue to prosper. Yes, the history did happen 173 years ago but of course it has something to do with today. In the history of things, that is not that long ago, and as someone pointed out, it still took 90 years for segregation to end (legally) after slavery was abolished.

I'm black, Afro-American, or whatever other PC term is currently in use today and I've done very well for myself and my family given my socio-economic status and race coming up. I don't run around waving the race card and I'm not a walking stereotype either. I don't believe in reparations in the least, and I think that Affirmative Action is a nesscessity, but it's also a double-edged sword at the same time. The system sucks, racism still exists, and yes it does hold people of color back. That's a fact. Even the penal system is skewed to take advantage of the lower class poorer citizens. Although whites are included in that class a large portion of that class consists of minorities. For example, why is it that the CEO of the defunct Enron Corporation is still a free man spending some of the MILLIONS of dollars that he defrauded thousands of people out of on his legal defense, when a minority on the street caught with a handful of drugs will most likely face 10-20 years in prison?

Don't get me wrong, a portion of bad race relations, stereotypes, and ignorance is perpetuated by minorities. I understand that is a fact and minorities need to do a better job of presenting ourselves. Dealing with racism and inequality is an uphill battle and it will take another few hundred years to undo but it will require EVERYONE'S help, understanding, and open mindsets. It always bothers me when someone says "I didn't own slaves" "I don't segregate" "I'm not racist" "I didn't do this, I wasn't a part of that, I never did this....." etc. It's not about what you did or didn't do, it's about what you're doing to make it better. Even a small actions help. We all have to live here....

I'm not sure how being against reparations makes one racist. The thing is, the majority of the people calling for reparations aren't helping to make things better. It's a cause that will do nothing but to further divide the races and the country. Those paying for it will see it as a handout to someone who never experienced it and therefore doesn't deserve it. I'm against any kind of government handout to anyone, be they black, white, or purple.

As far as the Enron CEO compared to a minority drug user, that's comparing apples to oranges. You might as well compare O.J. getting off a murder wrap to some hillbilly that gets time for abusing a dog or cat. The drug user will get 10-20 years, regardless of his skin color. It's not a matter of racism, it's a failure of the judicial system. It's a sad state of affairs that crimes against property are more severely prosecuted and punished in many cases than crimes against one's person....but that's another thread topic by itself!

Yes, I agree that racism isn't dead. I also think it's naive to expect that it ever will be. There will ALWAYS be people who hate anything and anyone different from them, regardless of how and where they were raised. It's a fact of life.

{stepping off my soapbox}

I never called you racist and I was referring to a lot of posts in this thread, not just yours. It was your subsequent commentary that prompted my response. The whole sending you back where you came from to the spend the money and I haven't owned any slaves statements. I'm against reparations myself. We agree on that.

As for the CEO/drug user comparison it is not "apples to oranges." I clarified my reasoning by pointing out that there is inequality in the legal system due to money and race. And it's proven that white lower class criminals are handed lesser sentences than their minority counterparts. If you would like some articles or reference material, PM me. The disparity is alarming.

Sure, there will always be racism and discrimination. But it's about what YOU can do to help eliminate it. Sitting back and accepting the fact that it will always be here just helps it thrive IMO. I'm not saying that everyone has to become an activist, but little things matter and help all the same. This thread is raising awareness as we all type.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
At what point in time do people stop blaming the past and take responsibility for themselves and their lives?

Personally, I'm only 28 and I'm tired of being the 'evil white man'

Ryan Trollin!
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
At what point in time do people stop blaming the past and take responsibility for themselves and their lives?

But you are evil Ryan, and it's not just because you're white.

All kidding aside. Even you are stereotyped! I know where you're coming from. I'm 31 and I don't deal drugs, shoot people, wear bling-bling, I've never been to jail, etc. I feel your pain. As you can see and feel for yourself racism, descrimination, etc. affects even those who do not share those views.

K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
<shakes hand> That's rough there. You my friend are are an exemplary man with immpeccable character. I commend you and congrats for overcoming.

Thank you...

It actually brought a tear to my eye when he told me to get my head out of my ass.

Anyway... MX, no hard feelings, man!

You're welcome man. I caught some feelings for you myself. Sa'll good.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M

How about..."Caucasion in the upper percentile of non good"

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

But you are evil Ryan, and it's not just because you're white.

All kidding aside. Even you are stereotyped! I know where you're coming from. I'm 31 and I don't deal drugs, shoot people, wear bling-bling, I've never been to jail, etc. I feel your pain. As you can see and feel for yourself racism, descrimination, etc. affects even those who do not share those views.

Right, but the whole discrimination thing, IMO, is used as a crutch for those who are to lazy to work through hardships. Discrimation affects all of us in different ways. In today's world there are too many successful minorities to continue using discrimination and racism as an excuse. If people really wanted to make their lives better they would make better decisions for themselves and their families such as Kane looks to have done. It starts some where. Too me be 'whitey,' it seems as if a lot of peoples want things handed to them and they don't want to work for them as people such as ourselves have done in our lives.

Ryan Trollin!
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard