Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Or it's very possible that, with as fast as Dubai is going up, that the particular hotel in question didn't exist yet when that photo was taken and it was photoshopped into that photo as many architects/developers will do. It's very common to take a somewhat popular photo of the area in question and photoshop it with the new building in it.

EDIT: Just checked, and that's not possible. The hotel in thebackground was built in 1997, the picture of the tennis match was taken early 2005.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Dubai is really nice! I'd like to go once before I die.

Is my car for sale? PM me if you're in South FL.
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-VIII:
Am i the only one that thinks that Bs, i mean a whole city in 10 years.....

Why is that BS? We want the ME to do that, it should create a more civilized society, which once it spreads, should reduce the threat of terrorism.

Don't talk... You are an idiot

1998 SVT E0 T-Red/Midnight Blue --> SOLD 2000 SVT Black/Tan 84,000 on the clock
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by ODC:
When the world moves away from oil, what will happen to Dubai ?

From Wikipedia:

"Dubai is distinct from other members of the UAE in that revenues from oil account for only 6% of its gross domestic product. A majority of the emirate's revenues are from the Jebel Ali Free Zone (JAFZ) [2] and now, increasingly, from tourism."

Why are people so stupid to think that every country whose people speak arabic are oil hungry terrorists?

DO RESEARCH BEFORE YOU MAKE STUPID COMMENTS

J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Dubai's health as a "municipality" in the UAE is linked to the other areas of the country, which most of their income is based off of oil and gas.

UAE as a whole (according to DOE, CIA and UAE's own government site) states that 30% of the countries GDP comes from oil and gas production.

I seem to recall that Oklahoma City and Tulsa didn't fare too well during the Oil Bust, even though most of the actual oil and gas production was taking place FAR away from both of those areas. A similar conclusion could be drawn from here, since many of the businesses in Dubai are tied to energy production...

Finally, where in the Hell did anyone in this thread make the suggestion that Dubai or the UAE was full of "oil hungy terrorists"?

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
the only thing we have seen from you in the last two posts is the ability to insult people. how about you provide us some research to back up your position? i for one would love to hear why you think the middle east is not a hot bed of islamic extremism and why dubai trying to become a world player in terms of civility with the west and ecomonic success shouldn't be seen as a possible way of influencing some of the other less cooperative regimes in the area. it would be an excellent way for dubai to win friends and infuence people in their favor.

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
All A-Rabz are terr-ists. Duh.

Sal Khan 00 SVT - Not pretty 00 Aprilia RSV Mille - Also Loved. http://www.thelunchjournals.com "I just want someone I can stand once her mouth is free of obstruction."
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by JaTo:
Finally, where in the Hell did anyone in this thread make the suggestion that Dubai or the UAE was full of "oil hungy terrorists"?

Maybe not in this thread (although I think there was some allusion to it), but in the Dubai Ports World flap, a whole buttload of Americans seemed to think that was the case.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Originally posted by nofx198e5:
Originally posted by ODC:
When the world moves away from oil, what will happen to Dubai ?

From Wikipedia:

"Dubai is distinct from other members of the UAE in that revenues from oil account for only 6% of its gross domestic product. A majority of the emirate's revenues are from the Jebel Ali Free Zone (JAFZ) [2] and now, increasingly, from tourism."

Why are people so stupid to think that every country whose people speak arabic are oil hungry terrorists?

DO RESEARCH BEFORE YOU MAKE STUPID COMMENTS

Wow. You need to calm down.

Seriously, this has been a good thread until your wackiness.

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
The fact that it was suggested by another poster that Dubai's economy being different from other countries of the middle east would make the threat of terrorism fade just made me mad. I am sorry if I am the only person who is easily angered by others when these kind of comments are made, especially over such stereotypes.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard