Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
man, night and day. Have you seen the palm tree shaped island complexes they're building in the bay? Unreal. Now they're also building an island complex resembling a world map. You could own your own island for a paltry $6.5 mil. What a bargain!

Yea, thats crazy. Saw that on Discovery channel I think. Import sand and use tankers with spray guns to fill in the sea. Stratigcaly placing them to make whatever shape they want. Cool, but crazy too

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
The reason it looks fake is because our modern cities are full from 100 years+ of expanding outward. New cities don't look like most of ours because they only have a couple blocks of development.

I say that's fantastic to see. I'm glad world efforts are doing this well. Business is business I guess?

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
man, night and day. Have you seen the palm tree shaped island complexes they're building in the bay? Unreal. Now they're also building an island complex resembling a world map. You could own your own island for a paltry $6.5 mil. What a bargain!

I fly over them all the time when I go over there. It is really quite something to see. Maybe next time I'll get some pictures.

Former - 98 CSVT E0 T-Red 4/4/97 #173 of 6535 Dear Santa
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-VIII:
Am i the only one that thinks that Bs, i mean a whole city in 10 years.....

Why is that BS? We want the ME to do that, it should create a more civilized society, which once it spreads, should reduce the threat of terrorism.

Urban development does not make you civilized.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by RogerB:

Why is that BS? We want the ME to do that, it should create a more civilized society, which once it spreads, should reduce the threat of terrorism.

No, but free-market economy and the desire to be a prime trading partner with the West sure does help it along.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by todras:

Got oil?

i was watching a special on the Discovery channel about the world's biggest mall theyre building there. complete with an entire indoor ski resort and all! they said that Dubai knows its oil reserves are depleting and that they plan to focus on tourism, making Dubai the ultimate place to visit in the middle east (if not the world).

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
Originally posted by RogerB:

No, but free-market economy and the desire to be a prime trading partner with the West sure does help it along.

I think the UAE, and Dubai in particular, are the exception to the rule in the ME. They have the advantage of modernized, forward-thinking rulers and sujects. Unlike the majority of the area.

I think it's great to see what they're accomplishing, and hopefully some of their open-mindedness will rub off on their neighbors. If not, I suppose it's possible that their 'world's tallest building' might possibly suffer the same fate that ours did. I'm still glad we didn't turn over our shipping ports to them though.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by Bill J. at Team Ford:
I would agree that first photo is more than 15 years old. You can tell just by the coloring of the photo.

Completely incorrect statement. I could show you photos from 5 years ago that look very old for a variety of reasons. You can't judge the pictures age by what's been posted.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S

Here's a list of the Top 50 tallest buildings in Dubai:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/?id=100485

Count how many were built prior to the past 10 years.

And the vast majority of those were built within the past 5 years.

The city sprung up from virtually nothing in less than a decade. There's not many cities in the US where even just 5 of the 50 tallest buildings were built within the past 10 years (in NYC it's 9), let alone virtually all of them.

The little city of Dubai is spending a whopping $50 billion a year on contruction projects -- far more than the rest of the Middle East combined. For every high-rise building that it has built, it's got 3 more in planning or under construction right now -- it's got three hundred skyscrapers being built right now, NYC only has about 100.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Didn't Tiger Woods buy the "Australia" island? Or maybe someone else...

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard