Originally posted by CSVT#49:
Originally posted by Tourige:
Yes, you need a flex pipe.

Well I'm not quite sure. What's the reason for needing a flex pipe. I just got back under my car to put my new clutch in and I placed the W/R y-pipe in there underneath my existing 2 bolt one and it matched up perfectly. I'm assuming if I buy the new Trubendz cat with the 3 bolt flange it should match up with my existing cat pipe, which would put it right at the W/R y-pipe flange.

So what am I missing here if I need that flex pipe? Will the Trubendz cat be shorter then my existing one? If thats the case wouldn't be easier and cheaper to just weld on a 3 bolt flange to my exisiting cat pipe?(my neighbor is a welder and has a nice setup, plus he owes me a favor.)

the 2 bolt y-pipe allows the engine to move and have it not pull on the exhaust and crack it if it was a solid connection. The 3-bolt cat makes a solid connection so the exhaust needs a way to flex, the "flex" pipe allows the engine to move and not the exhaust like the 2-bolt setup does

so if you have a car with a 2-bolt cat and you want to run the WR y-pipe you need to change your cat to a 3-bolt one and add a flex pipe to make it all work.

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family