Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
So driving to work today and I stop at a red light. Light turns green. I start to accelerate and notice my speedo and odometer not functioning. No biggie I think, fuse or sensor issue.

I go a mile. Stop at the next red light. Light turns green. I start to accelerate, and I hear a popping clunking rattleing sound. So, I immediately push in the clutch and slow down. It went away, so I put it in gear and continued on my way. And made it to work fine which was only about a mile from there.

After work I begin my drive home, still no speedo or odometer. Go about a mile and in the middle of cruising...about 30mph I'm guessing, again the snap crackle popping, so I slow down and limp it about a quarter mile to a garage and left it there.

Any ideas? Obviously the VSS, but what's with the noises, it sounds pretty bad, bad enough to make me think if I keep driving this home somthing serious is going to break, It almost feels/sounds like it's something in the trans, I dunno? Maybe the axle is f*cked.

Ok enough rambling. Let me know what you guys think.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Is it possible for the speedo gear to break off and fall into the transmission?

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Yes, that is most likely what happened. Early versions of the VSS gear were plastic. When Ford realized how easy it would break, they changed it to a metal gear.

The plastic one on my friends 98.5 SVT broke but we were able to take the pin out of the tranny. Sounds like yours fell in.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
This is not sounding good. I don't think I can handle another trans rebuild. I just had it rebuilt in November 04. I'm going to go cry and then say a prayer and wait for the shop to call.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Sounds like the VSS or the mating gear in the diff broke. Best scenario is that is't just the VSS and the internal gear wasn't damaged. We could pull out the VSS and see straight away what happened. If the gear teeth on the VSS are damaged, then there's a good chance the ones on the diff wil be too - which means trans pull and replace - which would be the time to have the trans looked at/beefed-up by Terry.
I have a car right now so this is something that I wouldn't be able to touch for at lest 3 weeks or so.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
A
A
This may not apply. But did you check the cable. On my 95 SE I had a similar experience and found that the lower cable section had broken were it mates with the upper section. Made a grinding sound as the cable spun.

95 SE, 2.5L Duratec V6, Standard Transmission 125,000 miles
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Ya my VSS failed and it cost me 675 for taylor ford to fix it becuase the plastic peice was stuck in the gear.

Parts where like 75 dollars roughly. Hopefully its a easy fix, to do the VSS its simple you need a 15/16th crowsfoot and a extention and you can pull the VSS and know what your dealing with.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by archie:
This may not apply. But did you check the cable. On my 95 SE I had a similar experience and found that the lower cable section had broken were it mates with the upper section. Made a grinding sound as the cable spun.

Your 95 has a cable driven speedo. Late 95-00 do not use a cable. They use a sensor.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er

That's what my trans fluid looked like when I drained it.

A
A
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Originally posted by archie:

Your 95 has a cable driven speedo. Late 95-00 do not use a cable. They use a sensor.

Are you asking me if there was a cable, or telling me there was not one? I do not remember if the cable drove the Speedo or the Tacometer but there is a cable and it runs from the instrument cluster down to the top of the VSS.

95 SE, 2.5L Duratec V6, Standard Transmission 125,000 miles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard