Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
So, I bought a 2000 SVT out of state last October and kept it in my garage untill I sold my other car. I finally get it out to drive it, and since I bought it out of state, it didn't have the front license plate bracket required here in Illinois. Sortly after I bought the car, I went to the local Ford dealer and bought the bracket, but never installed it. When I went to mount it, the shape is way off. There is atleast 1/2 to 3/4 inch inbetweeen the bumper and the bracket. I returned to the Ford dealer, thinking they just sold me the incorrect part, but they said it was the only one for the model of car...also said that it was the same part number for 98-00. Both the parts and the body shop quickly told me it was an aftermarket bumper, because no coutour has one like that...obviously, they had never seen a Contour SVT, since I owned a 98 as well, I promptly informed them that it was factory, infact I bought it from a Ford employee in Michigan. Long story short they can't help me...but I know someone here has seen this or dealt with this, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ACE

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Duct tape.

(sorry. couldn't resist.)

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
sounds like they sold you a non svt one perhaps?

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
my guess is correct...they said it was the same part number as a non-SVT, but I know my 98 didn't havbe a gap like that...I would have noticed while washing it

G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
If your bumper doesn't already have holes in it for the bracket, you should do what I did:

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
how did you attach it....pop rivets through the top of a generic bracket???

G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
2 L-shaped brackets from the hardware store and some nuts, washers and bolts. Make sure you measure and center everything before you drill 2 small holes to mount to the underside of the bumper. It's really very easy! HTH

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
didn't elky have a kit made for doing that same thing - everything is already made if he still offers it.... i think - JOE

EGPLNT:MY 95' SE MTX SVT *200,000 MILE CLUB* 6/06/06 - 201,000 MILES
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I had the same problem once. Someone left a lit cigarette on the bracket and it melted a little and distorted a bit on the top side so I wanted to replace it.

I ordered a bracket thru the dealership I worked at and the one that was shipped would not fit. They tried again, and got the correct one. I don't remember if there is a difference between the SVT or not, or if they found me one for a Mystique the first time, but they were able to eventually find the correct one.

I suspect that someone is having trouble reading Ford's less than wonderful parts catalog.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
ya...i was looking right at the guys computer and the one in the body shop as well and the part they sold me matched what was shown on the screen. I'm about to give up and just manufacture something myself most likley...there is an SVT dealership about 30 miles away...perhaps I'll give them a try at it

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard