Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1523040 03/13/06 04:02 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Big Jim:
But a glasspack muffler will blow out the fiberglass sooner or later and revert to being the same as a streight pipe.

cause its 30 bucks and a piece of crap..

Just save up for something that is properly, if you cant afford mods then working on cars shouldent be a priority for you..

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

#1523041 03/13/06 04:37 AM
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Tourige:
But a glasspack muffler will blow out the fiberglass sooner or later and revert to being the same as a streight pipe.

Just save up for something that is properly, if you cant afford mods then working on cars shouldent be a priority for you..

so we are all three in agreement that a magnaflo resonator from stazi would be a far better choice than the glasspack/straight pipe solution without being a riced out honda type getto idea.

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
#1523042 03/13/06 04:51 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by JB1:

so we are all three in agreement that a magnaflo resonator from stazi would be a far better choice than the glasspack/straight pipe solution without being a riced out honda type getto idea.

That or save up and get an actual exhaust system.

much like your weiner.

#1523043 03/13/06 05:54 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S

Just because it is cheap...doesn't mean it's bad. I built a highly effective turbo kit myself...did I spend a whole lot...no

Think about how much you paid for the whole car before you go and pay $$$ for a whole exhaust system, that will net you about the same sound and power...just won't last as long.

I am only answering the question he asked. There are very few exhaust systems I would even pay for...most name brands don't even fit that well. To me there is no substitute for a good exhaust builder/shop.

98 E0 SVT with some stuff
#1523044 03/13/06 06:01 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by stilov:

Just because it is cheap...doesn't mean it's bad. I built a highly effective turbo kit myself...did I spend a whole lot...no

Think about how much you paid for the whole car before you go and pay $$$ for a whole exhaust system, that will net you about the same sound and power...just won't last as long.

I am only answering the question he asked. There are very few exhaust systems I would even pay for...most name brands don't even fit that well. To me there is no substitute for a good exhaust builder/shop.

then go get it done, but get it all done, Dont just buy a glasspack and throw it in, or cut out the stock resonater, get new tips, get 2.5" instead of 2.25" just things like that

much like your weiner.

#1523045 03/13/06 06:04 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by stilov:

then go get it done, but get it all done, Dont just buy a glasspack and throw it in, or cut out the stock resonater, get new tips, get 2.5" instead of 2.25" just things like that

Why? You think 2.5 will have a benefit over 2.25? Highly doubt it...especially nothing that would justify the cost. Even in a SVT...2.5 is more than sufficient...most guys running 3L's only run 2.5. There have not been substantial gains in Contours in the "cat-backs"

98 E0 SVT with some stuff
#1523046 03/13/06 06:12 AM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Eazy E:
alright ive searched, and ive had my doubts about it. But i have very limited money and want my exhaust to sound better until i save money for a full system. now my question. what would sound better? cutting off the resonator and running a straight pipe or cutting off the rear muffler and putting just a straight pipe? i odnt want something to loud or stupid sounding. thanks for the help.

Did anyone suggest slapping on an SVT-catback exhaust? That's the best bang/buck ratio. It's a great mod for SEs and they are really cheap. Unfortunately, they're becomming a bit rare in the classifieds. However, every now and then I will see one or two on there. Most of these things are $70-100. That's like 1/3 the price of a glasspack!

99 Black Contour SE Sport
#1523047 03/13/06 06:13 AM
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
hence my resonator only suggestion

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
#1523048 03/13/06 01:19 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I can tell you FIRST HAND , WITHOUT DOUBT , throwing a glasspack on IS NOT like throwing on a straight pipe , EVEN AFTER it's burned-in a bit (or burned out) !! It's apples & oranges . Mine has been on my car for YEARS and has NO RICE sound WHATSOEVER . It sounds GREAT to this day . Just because it's a cheap mod , doesn't make it a bad mod , not matter what people will tell you . The "glasspacked resonator" is the way to go if you're looking for a cheap way to deepen-up & free-up your stock SVT exhaust . If you want to spend a bit more , and don't mind it being a bit quieter - get the magnaflow resonator .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
#1523049 03/13/06 01:51 PM
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
/\ I agree with Allen 100% on this.

I never had any "rice" sound either with my glasspack.

I took off my glasspack thinking that a Magnaflow muffler in it's place would sound good... I am very disappointed in how my car sounds. I want my glasspack back on as it sounded so much better.

My daughter has an SE, I got her an SVT exhaust with a glasspack and it sounds very good! No rasp at all. Nice deep tone to it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard