Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by striker2:
if your blowing a fuse that means you have a short somewhere.

you have to check for continuity to ground at various points in the circuit isololating that part of the circuit first. put the negative lead on a known good ground. if your ohm meter reads like the segment is open then thats not where the problem is. if you get a resistance reading then its in that section.

since its blowing a fuse its obviosly on the power side of the load between the fuse and the load but remember to isolate it. you will need a wiring diagram probably.

if you need any help just let mne know and ill try to help you best i can online

How do I go about that if I cant get a fuse to stay good? Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a new flasher and give that a try but for now I'm going to try and find any wires in those 3 little holes I made

Alex 00 T-Red/Tan SVTC #1964/2150 167 HP @6800 153 TQ @3000 Sold- 98 'Tour SE 24V 5-spd 149 HP @5900 148 LB FT @4300
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by 00_HO_Contour:

you have to check for continuity to ground at various points in the circuit isololating that part of the circuit first. put the negative lead on a known good ground. if your ohm meter reads like the segment is open then thats not where the problem is. if you get a resistance reading then its in that section.

since its blowing a fuse its obviosly on the power side of the load between the fuse and the load but remember to isolate it. you will need a wiring diagram probably.

if you need any help just let mne know and ill try to help you best i can online

How do I go about that if I cant get a fuse to stay good? Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a new flasher and give that a try but for now I'm going to try and find any wires in those 3 little holes I made

you dont want paower running through the circuit. your testing for continuity to ground with an ohm meter and you have to ISOLATE the individual parts of the circuit.

DONT just through fuses at it. find the short then repair it. once its fixed you can put in a fuse and it should work just fine.

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by 00_HO_Contour:

you dont want paower running through the circuit. your testing for continuity to ground with an ohm meter and you have to ISOLATE the individual parts of the circuit.

DONT just through fuses at it. find the short then repair it. once its fixed you can put in a fuse and it should work just fine.

Ok, I have an Ohm meter but am not very good at all at using it. Could you explain to me what I have to do? Or give an example?

Alex 00 T-Red/Tan SVTC #1964/2150 167 HP @6800 153 TQ @3000 Sold- 98 'Tour SE 24V 5-spd 149 HP @5900 148 LB FT @4300
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
ok first you want to remove the fuse and the loads (bulbs)

hook your negative lead to a good ground (the negative terminal of the battery is prefered)

start at the fuse and see if you have any resistance (you should at this point cause your at the begining of the circuit)

start with one circuit (ie turn signals) if you get resistance its in that circuit if not then its in one of the other circuits on that fuse.

move to the next connector on the circuit and disconect it and test on the load side (if you get resistance then its farther down the line if not then its in that first section)

make sure that the bulbs are removed when doing these tests
also make sure that you leave the previous conectors disconected on that circuit until youve isolated it to one section.

once you have found which connectors its between then you can search in that area for the short

if you can post a wiring diagram i can try to show you where to test at.

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Please explain what setting to use to test for resistance. And what the meter should read. I'm confused already.

Anyway I couldn't find anything in the holes I made. Here is a picture with the 3 holes circled in yellow. There wouldn't be wires there anyway, especially since my screws were only 1/2 inch long to begin with

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
you want to use an OHM meter

what kind of meter do you have? analog or digital

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
digital

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
if you have continuity to ground (short-bad) you will get something like .1 or .2 ohms maybe a little higher

if you dont (good) then you will get something like OFL, OL, 1 (whatever the meter reads when the leads are not touching

try to get a wiring diagram and connector locations for the circuits that the fuse protects.

if you can get it posted tonight then tomarrow i will go in and edit the images to show you where to probe.

Last edited by striker2; 03/09/06 05:29 AM.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
what you might also do is go pick up 2 circuit breakers to replace the fuses while you are diagnosing the problem

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
what you might also do is go pick up 2 circuit breakers to replace the fuses while you are diagnosing the problem

good idea

Another more "qualified" coworker of mine said that it was more than likely the turn switch itself so I picked one up at the junkyard and will give that a try

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard