Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
So I got some struts off a taurus and finally found all the hardware I needed to do the instal.

Well while working on the hood and drilling out the hood mount screw and tapping it I've enountered the worse thing possible. The tap sheared in the hole and is stuck right in place. The material used for the tap is so hardened that bit after bit after bit after bit just dulls out trying to drill it out.

Now I'm left with a hood with 1 strut installed on one side and 1 screw ont he other side and a bummed hole.

I've contacted IRWIN (the manufacturer) about a claim since this was a brand new bought today bit and tap kit. Thus the hole I was tapping was the perfect size because the bit I used before tapping it was from the same kit.

This just sucks, any suggestions?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Is there enough of the tap sticking out from either side to get some pliers on it? If you can get to it, you may be able to back it out. I don't know how much room you have if if you have the welding skills, but sometimes you can weld an extension on to the broken piece and then still back it out.

Finally, if needed, have a welding shop or body shop cut the piece out and then fill the void or patch the area so you can try drilling and tapping again.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
the only thing i can think off is to take the hinge off of the hood on that side and then you should be able to get some vice grips on the end and back it out.

thats the only thing i can think off at the moment

maybe some pics of it might help

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
There are broken tap removal tools, but they aren't cheap. They have 4 fingers that slide into the 4 grooves going down the body.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Sorry to hear that man... For future reference you should turn the tap 3 revolutions then back it up about one revolution to break the chip, and then repeat till the hole it tapped. Also use a cutting fluid WD-40 works great.

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Did that and still sheared.

Just fooled with it for another hour and no dice.. Going to look for a tap extractor now :-(

D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Bought a tap extractor, expect it in any day. Hopefull I can salvage the hole and still put in the ball stud necessary.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by djdanyloz:
Bought a tap extractor, expect it in any day. Hopefull I can salvage the hole and still put in the ball stud necessary.

"Once it's out." Worst case scenario is you can upsize to a standard size. (new tap and ball stud)

Just make sure before you re-tap it you drill the hole to the specified size for that particular tap.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
WOW, finally fixed it and the hood struts are AWESOME

So I bought the proper 5/16 4 flute walton tap extractor online. It's arrives and on the first attempt the fingers shear off.

So I go back to Cleveland form Chicago with a black eye from the experience and a broken tap in my hood. I find a local tool supply warehouse and find out they carry the replacement fingers. I buy 2 sets remembering my prior experience.

The first of the new fingers shear off as well. I replace them with my last set and success. It felt like I won the super bowl.

It's official using a tap extractor is the most nerve wrecking tool to use in this world.

So after weeks it's all done and I love it! If it werent for the broken tap the total price is about 14$ for the struts, ball stud, and brackets and tap.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Glad to hear!

98' Red E0 Contour SVT - Project SVT Tour' Pioneer Touch Screen Navigation / DVD, Infinity Speakers Borla Stainless Cat-Back, AEM True CAI, High Flow Y-Pipe 3L Hybrid w/ 3L Valves, Window Automation, Torsen LSD
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard