Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
I'm yet to ride/drive in a Contour with a N/A 3L, with the Zetec FD. I don't feel that the 4.06 FD proposes much of a problem with traction, or fuel efficiency. I average 23-24mpg with city/highway mix, and am around 27-28mpg on the highway. I don't think it's a matter of which FD the 3.0L should come with, but is more of a matter of preference. I'll sacrifice 1-2mpg for better acceleration, personally.

Mark

Yeah, despite the fact that the 3.83 is used exclusively now, I can't imagine the need to change if you already have it other than as I was stating above.
Why INDEED did Ford feel the need to use two separate FD's when one would have been much simpler and cheaper?
I'm guessing as they were decontenting usefull things out of the platform they also figured out that one size fits all IS cheaper. So of course that means that either the first design philosophies are wrong, or the later ones are...they can't have their cake and eat it too. If all else is equal and I were tooling around in a 2.5L, I'm taking the gears that give better acceleration, even if only slight.
In my 3L the 4.06 was just on the border of traction with newer/better tires. It made it a drivers game that I found I could easily live with.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black